My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #32  
That's not cheating, Cyril! That's being a good Boy Scout and "using your resources"! :D:thumbsup:

Well, I do have to admit that at that time I didn't have a tractor yet so maybe I didn't really have a choice.:D:laughing:

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #33  
congratulations on the new baby girl. The barn looks great, and thanks for involving your son. We are making our kids too soft by doing everything for them and not teaching them how to work with their hands. Hats off to you.

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #34  
congratulations on the new baby girl. The barn looks great, and thanks for involving your son. We are making our kids too soft by doing everything for them and not teaching them how to work with their hands. Hats off to you.

I make my son help with things on the farm, but man does he moan and complain about it.

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #35  
I make my son help with things on the farm, but man does he moan and complain about it.

boy howdy, do I hear that! My sons are both the intellectual artist types and have no interest in maters of the farm. My dad and I were exactly the opposite. Man, if my dad had tractors and power tools I would have been all over it!

My youngest (18) is now discovering the joys of money so at least I have occasional hired help. But he can be such a weenie...

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #36  
boy howdy, do I hear that! My sons are both the intellectual artist types and have no interest in maters of the farm. My dad and I were exactly the opposite. Man, if my dad had tractors and power tools I would have been all over it!

My youngest (18) is now discovering the joys of money so at least I have occasional hired help. But he can be such a weenie...

Mine's 14 going on 40.:laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #37  
We have a generation of kids who can't handle anything... I have an 18 year old daughter who sticks her bottom lip out and whips up big elephant tears with mom to get what she wants! :mad:

I finally went off on our little princess yesterday and she didn't like it much... Don't know how these spoiled brats are gonna make it in the "adult world"...

Sorry to vent. Just feeling the generation gap a lot these days!

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #38  
We have a generation of kids who can't handle anything... I have an 18 year old daughter who sticks her bottom lip out and whips up big elephant tears with mom to get what she wants! :mad:

I finally went off on our little princess yesterday and she didn't like it much... Don't know how these spoiled brats are gonna make it in the "adult world"...

Sorry to vent. Just feeling the generation gap a lot these days!

My wife and I struggle with this all of the time. Our kids are good kids, but they are only 8 and 3, so they haven't had much time to get "spoiled" yet and think they can do whatever they want.

We had our kids late and my wife and I have good careers, which is to say we don't worry about money. We aren't wealthy, but we can buy pretty much anything we want whenever we want... sans "major" purchases. (That is as long as we are employed!)

My wife and I came up with no money -- both of our parents struggled. So we really enjoy where we are and are very grateful.

-- however --

Our kids are not seeing things like we did when we were kids. My wife and I are always trying to balance giving the kids what they need, but somehow trying to teach them the value of a dollar and to appreciate what they have. Basically trying to not spoil them. It can be tougher sometimes.

I guess the older they get the more conscious of this we will have to be.

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #39  
These last few comments remind me of the Andy Griffith show.
There is one where Opie is doing chores so he can get his allowance. I wonder how prevelent that is today? Same episode they mention "The Wood Shed". Made me laugh and squirm at the same time. :laughing:

Wedge

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread
So as I promised, here are some "live, action shots" of us hanging the trusses. Got them all up and finally finished all the perlins this past week. Hurricane clips went in, thanks to a friends help. I've been trying to get the lean-to along the north side done. Got the posts put up and the truss-arm extensions put up as well. I decided to add a 2nd 2x6 to run parallel to the truss arm for additional support. We tied them together with 2x6 spacers so that not all the shed's roof weight is resting on merely one 2x6 every 10 feet. Those pictures are coming.

We had an accident the day we set the trusses and my father fell off the top of an 8' step ladder. He didn't set it on level ground and it teetered over. He tried to catch himself on every girt as he went down, but managed to bruise & scrape his arm up pretty good on a post corner. His red-badge of courage has earned him the position of "job site photographer" and he's been snapping the most recent pictures. Some of the construction detail is left out, so I will try to take my camera out and get some good detail photo's that might answer questions as well.

Attachments

• 8-21-10 #13.jpg
    8-21-10 #13.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 507
  • 8-21-10 #14.jpg
    8-21-10 #14.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 479
  • 8-21-10 #16.jpg
    8-21-10 #16.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 469
  • 8-21-10 #23.jpg
    8-21-10 #23.jpg