My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #1  

RxRatedZ71

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 3203
Well, after much thinking I finally bit the bullet and purchased a pole barn kit today. I've had the blue-prints for about 3 months, already drilled the holes earlier this week, and should be getting the lumber and some materials on Aug 2. What may seem like a simple build for many has had me up many a nights thinking about details and features.
The kit is a standard 30x40x12' building; however, I've added a 10x40 "lean-to" along one side to give me a covered porch. I came up with the design on my own, then I found this exact project that was built by a construction company online.

Attachments

• Barn Sample Pic.JPG
    Barn Sample Pic.JPG
    145.2 KB · Views: 7,665
  • 4-14-10 #5.jpg
    4-14-10 #5.jpg
    847.7 KB · Views: 1,840
  • 4-14-10 #6.jpg
    4-14-10 #6.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,663
  • 2-13-10 #1.jpg
    2-13-10 #1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,690
   / My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread
This is my materials list. This original kit includes a 12' slider and steel walk door, but I have planned for a double car overhead door and a stronger walk door. They are willing to credit those items towards the kit price which allowed me to purchase the materials for the lean-to. Its too bad that I don't have a farm-tag, it would have save me almost $600.

Attachments

• Material List Pg 1.jpg
    Material List Pg 1.jpg
    879.8 KB · Views: 5,241
  • Material List Pg 2.jpg
    Material List Pg 2.jpg
    878.5 KB · Views: 1,830
  • Material List Pg 3.jpg
    Material List Pg 3.jpg
    869.6 KB · Views: 1,357
  • Material List Pg 4.jpg
    Material List Pg 4.jpg
    874.5 KB · Views: 1,434
  • Material List Pg 5.jpg
    Material List Pg 5.jpg
    855.8 KB · Views: 4,006
   / My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #3  
enjoy the building, I did on mine. I also went with overhead doors instead of sliders. Mine is 30x48x12.
I might someday add a lean to on mine, that would be nice keeping equipment dry but not taking up inside room.

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #4  
Nice. Good luck.
Is that 8' spacing on the poles?
Will it be just storage or will it be a shop as well?
Good idea to go with 12' although there will be some who say you need 14', but they have HUGE boats to deal with.
Will it be insulated? Cement floor?

I'm sure there will be photos as things progress.

Wedge

Mainly the barn will serve as storage for my tractor and equipment. But I do like having the versatility to possibly use it for a shop or barn one day.The poles are spaced 10' OC as well as the trusses. That surprised me seeing as we do get some snow here (about 16" in one storm this past winter) and always have significant winds here (also known as tornado alley).Their blueprints indicate it was designed for use in Oklahoma and they've had a 30x30 erected for 15 years on site. Said its survived 2 close tornadoes (close enough to literally suck off the metal on a run-in shed only 10 feet away).

I am planning to have crusher-run down and top dress it with 3/8 chip screenings. Hopefully this will water in pretty good. I'm still wavering on insulation. I've thought about putting down roofing felt to help with condensation. They had a light insulation with a foil backing on it that said it blocked 97% of heat transfer. Those were about $210 a roll and the roof would need 2 rolls. I'm gonna think about these and maybe decide once I get my frame complete.

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #6  
Just my 2 cents, and I know it's always easy to spend someone else' money, but I would put poles 8' O.C. as well as the trusses.
I'll wait and see what others who have done this before suggest. Since the first pole hasn't been set it's not to late to upgrade a few things.

Wedge

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #7  
Good Mornin Tyler,
That looks to be a nice project for you ! A nice looking building and I like your leanto idea also.

I just about have mine finished with the exceptoion of my garage doors, 9 x 9 overhead, two on one side and one on the other for a drive through bay. Mine is 28' by 42' by 10' high.

I am planning on adding the leanto at some point in time but the bank book is just a bit empty at the moment... :)

BTW I really like the wooded grove that you have behind the barn...

Good Luck !

BBTW Im with the others, I like the 8' OC also !

I am planning on adding the lean
to at some point in time but the bank book is just a bit empty at the moment... :)

BTW I really like the wooded grove that you have behind the barn...

Good Luck !

BBTW Im with the others, I like the 8' OC also !

The city that I'm in is a stickler for codes and permits. You can't break wind without clearing it with the mayor. Whats funny is that across the road from us is another city's jurisdiction and then a half-mile to our east is county jurisdiction. Truth be known, I wasn't going to get a permit except for the fact the the neighboring land owner is building his house about 100 feet away from the barn, through the trees. When I applied for the permit, I had them review the plans with 10'OC and they said fine. Then they asked for a plot design and layout. When I showed them my property, they notice that my house is at the back. My property is long and narrow (292' by 1310'). My house is 1000' back off the road so they consider EVERYTHING in front of my house as front-yard. To build an "accessory structure" in your front yard you have to get approval from the board of adjustments regarding your situation. Just another way for the city to get $450 is what I think.

Also, the lean-to just needs five 6x6x12, seventeen 2x6x12, twelve 2x6x10, eight 2x8x10, and thirteen twelve foot sheets of metal. Its not that much total. Just sneak it by your wife board by board. Doesn't look as suspicious as an entire truck of lumber.:laughing:

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #9  
I have a pole barn that size and similar configuration. The front and back doors (gable ends) are ~11' sliders. Roll up doors would be nice, but I would want the kind that roll into a roll (must be a better term to use here) versus the typical slide up garage doors. The slide up doors block lights and have to have an open are to slide into. The roll up kind are instantly out of the way (for those warm nights when you want it open or a vehicle is stuck in the door way). Side sliders are okay and cheap.

I would have mine built 14' for one reason: enough room for a mezzanine to store materials on (to the side of the pull through). 12' is just a bit short.

My trusses are also on 10' centers. Seems light, but works fine. I would insulate the roof while your building it. Also, I would use 'closure strips' on the walls. Keeps the snow/rain from getting driven in. Easy to do. I don't have any issues with condensation, but we are pretty dry here. I do wish the pull through doors were offset to one side, but that's because this is my shop and that would leave me with a larger unbroken floor area.

Don't know what you are using for the upper wall sheeting, but mine has ~2-3 foot fiberglass panels. Works well for general lighting. Don't forget your gutters and side seals for the doors.

/ My 30x40x12' Pole Barn Thread #10  
the kind of doors you're talking about that roll up into a roll are called coiling.

i'll be watching this thread with interest, as I wan to build something similar.

-matt