New privacy fenced installed today. Easiest way to stain??

/ New privacy fenced installed today. Easiest way to stain?? #1  

Stringer

I don't know if I should rent a paint sprayer, buy a pump sprayer, pump sprayer + backbrush, airless sprayer, etc etc. No clue! Just want to protect my nice new fence and make it last a long, long time. Also don't want to die of heat exhaustion, and don't want to make a career out of it. What should I do? It's new treated pine. How long should I wait to stain it? Thanks! :)

5563.jpg

/ New privacy fenced installed today. Easiest way to stain?? #2  
Last a long long time; that's the job of the wood treatment.

Paints and stains will eventually flake, chip peel and trap water that causes rot and also want re painting or staining from time to time.

If the green tint is not objectionable, do nothing for now but in a couple of years when the tint fades simply spray (pump sprayer OK) a new coating of green wood treatment.
That'll kill off the moulds and algae that rot out the wood.

/ New privacy fenced installed today. Easiest way to stain?? #3  
find something you can use a pump up sprayer with...

"Aquatrol" comes to mind...

/ New privacy fenced installed today. Easiest way to stain?? #4  
I don't know if I should rent a paint sprayer, buy a pump sprayer, pump sprayer + backbrush, airless sprayer, etc etc. No clue! Just want to protect my nice new fence and make it last a long, long time. Also don't want to die of heat exhaustion, and don't want to make a career out of it. What should I do? It's new treated pine. How long should I wait to stain it? Thanks! :)

I'm not sure how long you'd need to wait, but when we put up a new fence in May 2006 (untreated panels from Home Depot) I used my one quart paint spray gun and applied Thompson's Advanced Water Seal in the Honey Gold tint. Unlike the old oil based Thompson's the Advanced is water based, easy cleanup. One thing I learned is that you must apply as much as you want initially, you cannot go back and apply a second coat after it has started to dry, as you can with paint, because it sheds water and your second coat will just bead up and run off. So, as you can see in the picture, my spray job was a bit lighter in places than others. Now after 4 years (it's supposed to be good for 3) the neighbor behind me rented an airless spray rig from Home Depot and applied another coat, so it now looks even better and should be good for another 3 or 4 years, but I don't have a new picture.

So, for me, personally, a spray rig and Thompson's Advanced would be a good choice, although I know there are other good products, too.

Attachments

• P5230003.JPG
    P5230003.JPG
    397.2 KB · Views: 142
   / New privacy fenced installed today. Easiest way to stain?? #5  
I was always told you needed to wait 3 months with treated wood before you stain or paint.

If/when you do, eitehr get a water based stain (specially for PT wood) and spply either with a pump sprayer or an airless sprayer.

With sprayer, however, you need to make sure about what the neighbor may have on the opther side of the fence and what is down wind. The stain or paint will travel.

/ New privacy fenced installed today. Easiest way to stain?? #6  
I was always told you needed to wait 3 months with treated wood before you stain or paint.

<snip>

I have heard and/or read the same thing. New PT lumber can be really wet. I like Cabot's Clear Solutions and its directions say to have 15% or less moisture before application. I don't have a moisture meter, so I wait the 90 days and trust that the wood has dried sufficiently.

Steve

/ New privacy fenced installed today. Easiest way to stain?? #7  
As said, let it dry some (depending on where you are, might let it go through the winter).

Then spray with a semi-transparent stain (NOT paint) with a pump up garden sprayer (cheapest). It won't flake off and can be re-sprayed when down the road and you want a new look again.

/ New privacy fenced installed today. Easiest way to stain?? #8  
You can buy here, the 1 gallon pump up sprayers for $7.99 at Dollar Stores and Freds. Spraying will be easier and take twice as much stain that brushing. In any event, I would wait until the moisture from the PT evaporated some. Ken Sweet

/ New privacy fenced installed today. Easiest way to stain?? #9  
Last a long long time; that's the job of the wood treatment.

Paints and stains will eventually flake, chip peel and trap water that causes rot and also want re painting or staining from time to time.

If the green tint is not objectionable, do nothing for now but in a couple of years when the tint fades simply spray (pump sprayer OK) a new coating of green wood treatment.
That'll kill off the moulds and algae that rot out the wood.

Agree//PILOON...best course of action is to leave it natural , the wood has enzymes in it that will cause the chipping and peeling with paint or stain..I agree with you instructions and that is what I have done for years...and never looked back..decks, tree stands and tree houses as well as sheds all look great.

/ New privacy fenced installed today. Easiest way to stain?? #10  
best course of action is to leave it natural

Once again, I guess it's a matter of personal preference, but I think leaving it natural not only looks terrible, but greatly shortens the life of the fence.