Cost to build 1 acre pond

/ Cost to build 1 acre pond #1  

rogerius

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota L3940HST
Hello to all good people
I was reading for some time this forum with a lot of passion and interest and I decided to post here some questions about our future project. I found lots of posts on this topic with a lot of interesting and good information.
We purchased a 92 acres property in Ontario, Grey County area and our plan is to build a pond. Based on reading we decide the bigger is the better, so we are thinking at a 1 acre pond 12ft deep, with purpose of swimming/some fish, but generally enjoying the water. Below I attached the sketch created for this pond. We appreciate any comments, suggestions, advice about this and more important think what I have to ask is: how much do you think this project can cost. So far we found one guy who said can do it and he started working at the quote, but I wish to have an idea from you about an estimated cost.
The land is almost flat with no trees or additonal work required so only digging is required. We are planning to level our front property which is at 200-300ft from the pond with the dirt resulted from digging the pond. The water will be from mother nature (rain and snow).

As a personal story about cost: we had to demolish two logs barns on this property, no foundation and no roof, and we asked around who can do it and for how much. Anyhow, we received about 10 quotes starting from 2000$ up to 8000$ and in the final we selected a serious person who did it for 3000$ (demolish, buried the barns in the ground and resurface the 200ft of driveway). So, I don稚 understand how somebody can ask 8000$. In this case, it was easy for us to evaluate the work required, but digging a pond is a big unknown for us and this is the reason why we ask for your opinion.
Thanks
Floyd

/ Cost to build 1 acre pond #2  
Im not sure whether you asking just about the digging of the pond or that and other necessary work that need to be done. Lets assume the former so the issue is soil (eetc removal and placement elsewhere.
My experience was in NY on the fringes of the commuter belt and this was the rehabilitation of an old farm pond. The contractor was able to use a large excavator and charged me $1000 a day and the job down to 10 ft was done in 4 days. The size was about a 1/4 acre. I knew the contractor and this price may seem high but he knew what he was doing and I trusted him.
I think you have an added dimension in that with an acre pond the machine will have to get into the hole. You say that you expect water to come from rain and snow, but you may well hit water prior to completion.Your contractor should tell you what his plans are should this happen.

/ Cost to build 1 acre pond
Im not sure whether you asking just about the digging of the pond or that and other necessary work that need to be done. Lets assume the former so the issue is soil (eetc removal and placement elsewhere.
My experience was in NY on the fringes of the commuter belt and this was the rehabilitation of an old farm pond. The contractor was able to use a large excavator and charged me $1000 a day and the job down to 10 ft was done in 4 days. The size was about a 1/4 acre. I knew the contractor and this price may seem high but he knew what he was doing and I trusted him.
I think you have an added dimension in that with an acre pond the machine will have to get into the hole. You say that you expect water to come from rain and snow, but you may well hit water prior to completion.Your contractor should tell you what his plans are should this happen.

Thanks deereman64 for your imput. I was thinking the beach (smaller slop) area on my sketch will be the entrance point in the hole. I'm looking for a cost of digging the pond, layout the contour, pushing the dirt 300ft and level it, just an opinion/your thoughts, nothing scientific. About hiting the water at that depth we'll see. Hope the contractor will dig a small hole for testing before start digging to make a plan.

/ Cost to build 1 acre pond #4  
Won't you have to capture water runoff from someplace to maintain a full pond with spillway? Ken Sweet

/ Cost to build 1 acre pond
Won't you have to capture water runoff from someplace to maintain a full pond with spillway? Ken Sweet

The location of the pond is at the bottom of the hill, actually this flat platou of 2 acres where I wish to dig, is the lowest point of entire property, so I'm thinking I can collect the water without any additional capture channels.

/ Cost to build 1 acre pond #6  
Rogerius, check out "pondboss.com" for info. Bill C

/ Cost to build 1 acre pond #7  
Ponds are one of those things it is hard to put a price on without being there. Every contractor will have a different point of view and price. How much would you be doing if any? Do you have clay, if not then that'll have to be trucked in. The digging isn't the hard part getting rid of the dirt is the issue. I don't think you'll be able to get a valid price on this forum but, you can gain some knowledge. Your best bet would be to contact some reputable contractors in your area and see what they have to say.

/ Cost to build 1 acre pond #8  
Ponds are one of those things it is hard to put a price on without being there. Every contractor will have a different point of view and price. How much would you be doing if any? Do you have clay, if not then that'll have to be trucked in. The digging isn't the hard part getting rid of the dirt is the issue. I don't think you'll be able to get a valid price on this forum but, you can gain some knowledge. Your best bet would be to contact some reputable contractors in your area and see what they have to say.

20 20 is right that it is too hard to tell based on a sketch and description. Another reason in the price from contractors is how busy they are. If they have a lot of work the price will be higher because they really don't need the work. If they need the work you are more likely to get their rock bottom price. I like the guy who dug my foundation for my house. He gave me his hourly rate and also gave me a maximum of what it would cost. This way there was no surprises. He came in under what he said the maximum would be.

/ Cost to build 1 acre pond #9  
We have a 3/4 A pond that is now down over 3 feet. From lack of rain.
Was told when it was constructed that we needed minimum of 10 A of run off per one acre of pond.

Ours still drops during the summer. 3 foot drop leaves 8-10 feet of "shore" around the edge that was pond.

After a few summers of the "shrinking mud hole" we had a well drilled.
It will produce approx. 30 gal. per minute and wide open 1 1/4 pipe will raise the level approx 1 inch in 24 hours. The reason our pond is down now is the water is being used to keep orchard, arbor, shrubs and grass alive.

All this is to say I don't believe you will have a pond that you will enjoy if snow/rain is the only source of water.

/ Cost to build 1 acre pond #10  
Most of the heavy equipment operators around here won't quote an exact number. Too many variables. They'll tell you their best educated guess if all goes well and how many hours they think it'll take and how much they charge per hour.
Check references and ask to see some of their work.