Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    123
    Location
    Wichita, KS

    Default small trench

    I am going to have to make some small trenches this summer and fall. Will my bx1860 be able to use something like this NorTrac Subsoiler — Category 1, 3-Point Hitch
    to make trenches?

    They will be mostly to run wires or small flexible pipes.

    Thanks,

    --Carlos

  2. #2
    Padawan Tractor Learner
    Advertiser
    Johndeere3720's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,368
    Location
    NW Oregon
    Tractor
    Deere 317 & L118

    Default Re: small trench

    Quote Originally Posted by casolorz View Post
    I am going to have to make some small trenches this summer and fall. Will my bx1860 be able to use something like this NorTrac Subsoiler Category 1, 3-Point Hitch
    to make trenches?

    They will be mostly to run wires or small flexible pipes.

    Thanks,

    --Carlos
    i have a subsoiler and it is great for small ditches and trenches. i have to say that getting a middle buster head (furrower) helps a lot for getting it wide open. it also evenly disperses the dirt and material evenly on both sides so filling in the trench is easy. the one in the picture there looks just about right for your BX1860 and it should pull it just fine.
    My Fleet:
    2004 Deere 317 Skid Steer Loader
    66" Construction bucket, imatch QA adapter, CU72 Jake Rake, Middle Buster, 60" Landscape rake, 54"x 48" Pallet forks
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck

    Check out my rakes: www.Jakesimplements.com

    Member of the TBN "Young gun" Club

  3. #3
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    123
    Location
    Wichita, KS

    Default Re: small trench

    Quote Originally Posted by Johndeere3720 View Post
    i have a subsoiler and it is great for small ditches and trenches. i have to say that getting a middle buster head (furrower) helps a lot for getting it wide open. it also evenly disperses the dirt and material evenly on both sides so filling in the trench is easy. the one in the picture there looks just about right for your BX1860 and it should pull it just fine.

    Pardon my ignorance, what is a "middle buster head"?

    --Carlos

  4. #4
    Platinum Member Iowachild's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    978
    Location
    NW PA
    Tractor
    Kubota B2320HST

    Default Re: small trench

    Quote Originally Posted by casolorz View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, what is a "middle buster head"?

    --Carlos
    Here is one that comes with both the sub-soiler and the middle buster heads. Picture shows middle buster. Howse Middle Buster / Sub-Soiler
    MIKE

    Ephesians 6:12

    America is a Constitutional Republic.......NOT a democracy! Our founder knew democracies never last!


    "Iowa Child" by Sarah Hall Manley

  5. #5
    Padawan Tractor Learner
    Advertiser
    Johndeere3720's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,368
    Location
    NW Oregon
    Tractor
    Deere 317 & L118

    Default Re: small trench

    mine is the middle buster/subsoiler/trailer mover combo. here is a picture of the middle buster head. I also have a smaller one that came off an old walk behind rototiller. haven't tried it yet though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails small trench-1-16-10-001.jpg   small trench-7-13-10-104.jpg  
    My Fleet:
    2004 Deere 317 Skid Steer Loader
    66" Construction bucket, imatch QA adapter, CU72 Jake Rake, Middle Buster, 60" Landscape rake, 54"x 48" Pallet forks
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck

    Check out my rakes: www.Jakesimplements.com

    Member of the TBN "Young gun" Club

  6. #6
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    123
    Location
    Wichita, KS

    Default Re: small trench

    Ok I see what you mean now. How deep do you think I can dig with one of those? are there thinner ones that can go deeper? I don't think I need more than 6 to 12 inches.

    Thanks.

    --Carlos

  7. #7
    Padawan Tractor Learner
    Advertiser
    Johndeere3720's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    6,368
    Location
    NW Oregon
    Tractor
    Deere 317 & L118

    Default Re: small trench

    Quote Originally Posted by casolorz View Post
    Ok I see what you mean now. How deep do you think I can dig with one of those? are there thinner ones that can go deeper? I don't think I need more than 6 to 12 inches.

    Thanks.

    --Carlos
    If you shorten the top link all the way, it will dig all the way to the bottom fo the 3 point mount but it can be controled via the 3 point hitch lever. The wider one actually digs better than the narrow one.
    My Fleet:
    2004 Deere 317 Skid Steer Loader
    66" Construction bucket, imatch QA adapter, CU72 Jake Rake, Middle Buster, 60" Landscape rake, 54"x 48" Pallet forks
    2005 John Deere L118
    42" deck

    Check out my rakes: www.Jakesimplements.com

    Member of the TBN "Young gun" Club

  8. #8
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    123
    Location
    Wichita, KS

    Default Re: small trench

    The ones with the middle buster head seem to have a shorter digging height rating.

Similar Threads

  1. Peanut Planting/Harvesting on Small Acreage with Compact Tractor
    By perdurabo in forum Ag Tractors & Machinery
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-24-2010, 10:03 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-12-2010, 02:13 PM
  3. SMALL portable welder needed. . .suggestions?
    By Bob_Skurka in forum Related Topics
    Replies: 46
    Last Post: 07-03-2005, 09:28 AM
  4. Small trailer
    By tomnky in forum Trailers & Transportation
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: 03-27-2005, 05:25 AM
  5. Depth & LIning of Trench
    By cisco in forum Projects
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-07-2002, 12:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
© 2013 TractorByNet.com. TractorByNet is a registered trademark of IMC Digital Universe, Inc. Other trademarks on this page are the property of their respective owners.