How Do I Hook a Grill to House Propane Tank

/ How Do I Hook a Grill to House Propane Tank #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
How do I hookup my grill to my house propane tank?

Would I split/T into the line after the regulator for my gas logs?

/ How Do I Hook a Grill to House Propane Tank #2  

I have no answer, but would like to do the same. The only concern I have is that I may have, in the past, forgotten I was burning crud off the grill and left it lit until the tank was dry.

/ How Do I Hook a Grill to House Propane Tank #3  
Depending upon your gas system lay-out, you will have to connect on the lowest pressure point in your system. Some LP systems can be run as 2#systems and they ahve a secondary regulator at the house. This allows a smaller gas line size and solves some delivery problems. Your system may or may not have this. Don't guess! Ask your LP supplier.

Quick connect boxes are available, again, check with your gas vendor. You could run a line out to the deck to this quick conn box and put a pigtail on the grill. I recommend a removeable qucik connect as it is easier to move the grill. I hard piped my grill once and didn't care for it. I prefer the flexibility of wheels...but you get to decide:)

/ How Do I Hook a Grill to House Propane Tank #4  

Whether a 500 gallon tank or a 20# BBQ tank, the tank pressure is the same.

Just tee into the full tank pressure line somewhere in the system and put a regulator between that tee and your grill. You can add other shut-off valves if you wish.

You can re-use an existing regulator or buy a new one. Of course, use a regulator that is meant for propane accessories like a grill. They are very common. You can probably retrofit one from your 20# tank. They should have pipe thread fittings on both inlet and outlet.

I currently have a 100# tank connected to my grill. I bought a few 100# tanks to keep my house warm during construction (from drywall on, prior to getting furnace hooked up). Once I finished my house, I had a few hundred pounds of propane left over. I am using them on my grill. Talk about capacity!

Make sure you keep the regulator somewhat out of the elements. There is a relief hole in the regulator that should be pointed down so moisture does not get in there and freeze. It can cause leaks. It is clearly marked on the regulator.

Tapping into the system post regulator on another device may cause problems. The pressure may not be correct and there may be flow issues (not enough flow).

And last but not least, make sure you are connecting a propane grill to propane -- or -- or a natural gas grill to natural gas.

/ How Do I Hook a Grill to House Propane Tank #5  
I had a line installed when our house was built, but have decided that I like the convenience of just using the 5 gallon tanks. We always have a few around the house and when I get down to only 1 or 2 left full, I take the rest into town in the pickup and get them all filled at once.

If you look at the price of delivered propane for your big tank vs. the price for refilling a small tank, you are not saving any money using propane from the house tank.

And, if anything goes wrong with the grill, the manufacturer is going to disclaim any responsibility if you have changed his original setup in any way.

/ How Do I Hook a Grill to House Propane Tank #6  
I woul check with my gas company first. Around here, all of the propane companies require that they do any connections/disconnections/line modifications to the system. They go as far as requiring if you get a replacement stove, they need to inpsect and hook it up.

/ How Do I Hook a Grill to House Propane Tank #7  
I have a 500gln. Propane Tank for the house and the line runs in to a manifold with 6 valved outlets. 1 to furnace, 1 to water heater etc. The last one was not being used and I ran 1/2" pipe along the basement ceiling and out to my grill. The gas is regulated at the manifold so I did not need another regulator at the grill as it was way too low of pressure when I tried it. I hooked up a shut off valve inline before it gets to the grill and used 10' of 3/8 LP rated hose so I could move the grill around. It works wonderful.. No more $15.00 tank refills and chasing after them and switching them out. It's just easier that's all.

/ How Do I Hook a Grill to House Propane Tank
I have a 500gln. Propane Tank for the house and the line runs in to a manifold with 6 valved outlets. 1 to furnace, 1 to water heater etc. The last one was not being used and I ran 1/2" pipe along the basement ceiling and out to my grill. The gas is regulated at the manifold so I did not need another regulator at the grill as it was way too low of pressure when I tried it. I hooked up a shut off valve inline before it gets to the grill and used 10' of 3/8 LP rated hose so I could move the grill around. It works wonderful.. No more $15.00 tank refills and chasing after them and switching them out. It's just easier that's all.

My tank is just 120 gal, but I think it will work thanks.:thumbsup:

/ How Do I Hook a Grill to House Propane Tank #9  
We did this and love it!

When plumbing our propane in our house, we ran a line to the deck out back where the BBQ is. It has a shutoff (we shut that valve after using BBQ in case the BBQ has a leak) and a quick connect hose (made at our local hose shop specifically for this, you can also pick them up many places). Basically took the regulator off the BBQ hose going to the tank it had and then connected the new hose with quick connect (we wanted quick connect so we can store the BBQ in the shop in the winter without undoing connections).

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 2,969
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    11.3 KB · Views: 3,196
   / How Do I Hook a Grill to House Propane Tank #10  
We did this and love it!

When plumbing our propane in our house, we ran a line to the deck out back where the BBQ is. It has a shutoff (we shut that valve after using BBQ in case the BBQ has a leak) and a quick connect hose (made at our local hose shop specifically for this, you can also pick them up many places). Basically took the regulator off the BBQ hose going to the tank it had and then connected the new hose with quick connect (we wanted quick connect so we can store the BBQ in the shop in the winter without undoing connections).

I used a similar hookup, house already had a line for an unused gas dryer, so I ran a line outside from it to a quick-connect. Gas supplier finished the job, as he had to hook it up anyway! ~~ grnspot110