Repair holes in metal roof?

/ Repair holes in metal roof? #1  

jfh0jfh

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, JD 710, Case 450
I'm putting used metal on a new storage barn. There are (of course) holes in the used metal. Some too big (nail-head sized) for silicone (my usual method).

I thought of using regular tar but saw here a thread on using Henry's and Elastomatic.

Anyone have any experience w/ these or similar products, specifically w/ larger holes?

(I realize that used tin will be a poor economy if I have the continuously patch the roof. New metal would be ~ $1350 and I have a lot of used tin.)

/ Repair holes in metal roof?
Thanks. Flashing is usually AL but I take your point. I think though that there are too many holes to patch. I'l patch rips but if I have to patch nail holes I'll be better off buying new metal.

Make up patches out of roof/gutter flashing and glue them down w Henry212.

/ Repair holes in metal roof? #4  
I used silicone to fill some large nail head size holes in metal roofing and it's held up fine for 2 yrs. Just smear it on and if need be put a second coat on it.

/ Repair holes in metal roof? #5  
I'm putting used metal on a new storage barn. There are (of course) holes in the used metal. Some too big (nail-head sized) for silicone (my usual method).

I thought of using regular tar but saw here a thread on using Henry's and Elastomatic.

Anyone have any experience w/ these or similar products, specifically w/ larger holes?

(I realize that used tin will be a poor economy if I have the continuously patch the roof. New metal would be ~ $1350 and I have a lot of used tin.)

Depending on the pitch of your roof you should not have to worry about nail holes...I had an old barn with a metal roof at a tenant house I wanted to tear down for years but every tenant begged me to leave it...I told them about the nail holes in the roof and they all said it did not leak...I finally went over durring a thunderstorm and stood in the barn with the tenant and sure enough ...no leaks..I don't remember the pitch of that roof but the water runs off fast enough apparantly...I would just wory about any open gashes that you have ..Check the big box stores ..use black jack and some old shingles...keep it simple...that is what I would do..but what do I know..? :)

/ Repair holes in metal roof?
Thanks for the advice. This tin is from a later building where the fasteners were in the flats instead of the ribs. This seems a poor method to me but around here tin makers won't honor the guarantee unless fasteners are in the flats: per them, fasteners in the ribs crack the metal.

It's a 4/12 so steep enough to run off as you suggest (I have a < 3/12 w/ unsealed nail holes in the rib and it doesn't leak). I may just put it on and see but I want to be able to seal if need be.

========================================
Depending on the pitch of your roof you should not have to worry about nail holes...I had an old barn with a metal roof at a tenant house I wanted to tear down for years but every tenant begged me to leave it...I told them about the nail holes in the roof and they all said it did not leak...I finally went over durring a thunderstorm and stood in the barn with the tenant and sure enough ...no leaks..I don't remember the pitch of that roof but the water runs off fast enough apparantly...I would just wory about any open gashes that you have ..Check the big box stores ..use black jack and some old shingles...keep it simple...that is what I would do..but what do I know..? :)

/ Repair holes in metal roof? #7  
If you decide to use Silicone , make sure it is Neutral cure , not the regular stuff that is Acidic cure as the latter will corrode a hole through the sheet in a few years .

/ Repair holes in metal roof? #8  
i have done this before. use a washer and rubber washer nail. silcone spot first then drive the nail with washer. never had problem.

/ Repair holes in metal roof? #9  

Have you tried putting rivits in the holes. Different sized rivets depending on the size of the hole. I sell used tin from time to time and this is what I recommend when someone asks about filling the nailholes. Anything with a bigger hole that cant be covered by a rivet needs a patch rivited over it.

/ Repair holes in metal roof? #10  
If holes too big for rivets, than maybe bolts/nuts with rubber washers and/or fender washers with silicone squirted under them.
Have to consider cost of materials and labor putting them on, but may help the shed the rain.