Culvert Project

/ Culvert Project #1  

Harv

Elite Member
California - S.F. East Bay & Sierra foothills
Tractor
Kubota L2500DT Standard Transmission
Hmmmmmm. Took a shot at what discussion group this one belongs in. If you're taking polls, Muhammad, how 'bout one for "Tractor Projects" or "Tractor Usage" -- you know, a proper place to chat about the things we actually do with our tractors?

I know there are previous threads dealing with culverts, and I have been reading them avidly, but I was hoping you experienced guys could walk me through the 3 culverts I have planned. Since I'm obsessed with posting pictures, it seems like an opportunity for y'all to tell me what I'm doing wrong (or right, if that ever happens. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif)

Well, this project was off to a bad start, as you may already know. I got back from my 'panic' trip to the property last night (Tuesday) after doing what I could to fend off any damage from this unexpected rain storm that just passed through. The pipe still hasn't arrived -- apparently it is now sitting in the dealer's yard, but I'm at the bottom of their delivery list even though it is over 2 weeks overdue. Grumble. /w3tcompact/icons/mad.gif

All I was able to do, therefore, was to throw a tarp over my pile of crushed limestone (backfill) and hope it's still workable when the pipe does get delivered.

I also needed to open up a water channel that had completely filled itself in. This being only the third time in the seat of my 2500, it was all learning curve. Taking the advice from previous posts I first scraped out a "V" groove by tilting the box blade as far as I could and dragging the lower 3 rippers through the area where I wanted the channel to be. At first I thought my box was too wimpy to do the job, but a few repetitions laters and I could start to appreciate the results.

After loosening the soil (and considerable rocks) in that manner, I then attacked from the side with the loader bucket to create at least the semblance of a ditch. Lots of that learning curve here I can tell you. Muhammad -- I didn't understand all that hooplah about the spinner, but after this little project I'm definitely putting it on my shopping list. The resulting ditch (and I use the word flatteringly) was quite shallow -- about a foot -- but that's about where the natural bottom of the channel should be. Any deeper and it would be below the high-water mark of the pond itself.

This is actually the site of the first 12-inch culvert pipe I'm going to put in. The channel is quite shallow, but the area is in a natural depression (funny how water finds those) so I'm hoping I can build up the tractor path to achieve that magical 12 inches of topfill above the pipe without creating a mountain for the tractor to climb over.

Shortly after that last picture was taken, the sky let loose with a truly impressive downpour. I kept at it in the rain until the loose soil I had created started turning to mud. There wasn't much danger of burying the tractor, but I didn't like the way it started slipping and sliding in close proximity to the trees. I also started wondering just how good a lightning rod me and my Kubota would make. I finished what I could by hand, soaked to the bone, and then packed it up for the night. Next day was too soggy for digging, so I spent the day tinkering with my new tilt meters and such. More on that in another post.

The culvert pipe should be arriving Thursday, so I'll be heading back up first thing Friday morning.

Is this too much detail and/or verbage for this kind of post? I feel pretty lost and alone on this project, so I'm trying to use the magic of the internet and digital photography to draw some of you into being back-seat drivers for me. /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Culvert Project #2  
Harv. I really like reading your posts with all of the nice photos. I assume you are the tractor operator. So who does the photography for you??

/ Culvert Project #3  
Too much detail? Not a chance. I don't know enough about tractors to tell you if you're making great use of your tractor -- but I know enough about computers and the internet to know you are making great use of that technology.

I can also relate to "I feel pretty lost and alone on this project." I'm used to being the know-it-all with computer neophytes -- but tractors and projects in the dirt -- it's a brave old world.

Huck

/ Culvert Project #4  
Seeing the pictures of you and your new tractor and listening to the tales of your adventures, it looks and sounds to me like you're having just about the right amount of fun with your new partner.

Bob Pence

/ Culvert Project #5  
Harv, it sounds to me like you're going about it right. That kind of work can be slow and frustrating at times, but you will gain a little speed with practice and experience (but not enough to suit me at times)./w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif I kind of wonder why your box blade is yellow and mine is maroon. Maybe they are different models or weights or something, but other than the color, they look the same.

Bird

/ Culvert Project
BUSTED!!! /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif

Jack in IL -

I was wondering when/if anyone would ask about who was taking the pictures. The embarassing truth is that it's me, both in front of and behind the camera.

I looked at other picture posts and tried it both ways myself, and I decided I liked the "action" shots better when there was a driver in the tractor seat. (See the attachment for an unmanned picture.) So now I keep my camera on a tripod near my work site and make use of the self-timer feature.

Vain? I hope it doesn't come across that way /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif. Just taking a little dramatic license in the name of fine entertainment on this board. If you really want amusement, I should set up another tripod with my video camera so you could see the mad scramble I make to get back on the tractor before the timer takes the picture. /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

HarvSig.gif

/ Culvert Project #7  
Harv, It looks like you are taking the right approach and the job is going well. It would be nice if all of us had a digital camera and could post pictures of our tractors, equipment, and work. I've also noticed that water seems to find depressions and it doesn't find one it makes one.

/ Culvert Project #8  
Harv, your post looked good to me! A few observations though, paint your box ORANGE, and stencil HARV on the ends instead of HOWSE, It looks like you've got the 'howze' figured out. One other thing, be carefull you don't run over that tripod and camera in your juggling the tractor around!

/ Culvert Project #9  
Harv, looks to me like you have it figured out... good pictures.

Did you find a Kubota toolbox, or paint one orange?

/ Culvert Project
Thanks to all for tolerating my verbose post at the top of this thread. I warn you, though -- now I'm encouraged. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

Bird -
My box blade came with no manual, so I don't know much about it beyond what I've learned by using it. I haven't procured any of the <font color=orange>right paint</font color=orange> yet, but I think a paint job is definitely in order.

Scruffy -
Replacing "HOWSE" with "HARV" has a certain poetic ring to it. You shouldn't make humorous suggestions to me 'cuz I'm just liable to do it. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

GeneP -
The orange toolbox was a $10 Home Depot special. It's plastic and way too flimsy for long-term use, but I wanted to try out the idea and so far I like it. Makes a dandy arm rest, and having a selection of tools at hand when out in the field is working out great. I will probably replace it with a sturdier metal toolbox as soon as I get some orange paint.

The culvert project continues tomorrow, so for better or for worse, I should have an update next week. (Next week!!!? Ye gods!!! I'll never catch up with the postings!)

HarvSig.gif