30x30 concrete slab water cure

/ 30x30 concrete slab water cure #1  

scrivy69

Tractor
2010 JD 2320
We had my slab for my 30X30 garage poured on Monday and was wanting to know the best way & when to wet cure concrete, I hope I didnt start to late. I waited 2 days after the pour, I've got the lawn sprinkler on it now, and been spraying water for about 12hrs per day. Did I start to late? and am I doing any good? or am I just wasting water? I know nothing about concrete curing just what I've read online. when the water dries on the concrete now its pretty white not like the gray it was the day of the pour. Thanks for any suggestions or comments.

/ 30x30 concrete slab water cure #2  
Yeah, you started a bit late, in my experience, as it has likely set up now.

I don't think your watering now for 12 hours a day is going to do too much. Whatever benefit your watering did, it has done. Whatever you missed by waiting two days, you've missed. Time to think about other things. :thumbsup:

/ 30x30 concrete slab water cure #3  
I am no concrete expert, but waiting 2 days to worry about drying is probably too late. I would not use the sprinklers on the cement at this time.

/ 30x30 concrete slab water cure #4  
It should have been kept wet for the first three days...7 days would be even better...after 21 days it should be fully cured depending on what other agents may have been in the mix...

we always covered with burlap and kept it watered...

/ 30x30 concrete slab water cure #5  
Yep, too late and you are just wasting water.

When to start depends on a lot of variables. Starting could range from just a few hrs to a few days. Basically the concrete has to be finished, and solid enough that spraying/misting water on it won't affect the finish. You dont want to wash off the "cream" that gives you a smooth finish and expose the stone and sand.

Once it is cured enough to start misting with water, you only need to keep it damp. Again this all depends. If it is in blazing sun and 95 outside, you would probabally have to spray every hour or two. If in the shade and cooler, every 6-8 hours is enough to keep the surface wet.

Watering for 12 hours straight with a sprinkler is a big waste of water. Most of it is probabally running off anyway.

The goal is only to keep the surface moist, to prevent the water that was mixed in with the concrete from vaporating. The water causes a chemical reaction to cure the cement. The more water that evaporates from the mix, the less it can cure.

/ 30x30 concrete slab water cure
Thats what I was afraid of, Just wasting water, I just wish the concrete guys would of told me the day they left. i was just messing around online a couple days after the pour and come up on concrete curing. I just want a strong foundation when they start to build the garage, anyway guys thanks alot.

/ 30x30 concrete slab water cure #7  
Thats what I was afraid of, Just wasting water, I just wish the concrete guys would of told me the day they left. i was just messing around online a couple days after the pour and come up on concrete curing. I just want a strong foundation when they start to build the garage, anyway guys thanks alot.

It will be fine. Wet curing residential concrete typically isn't necessary.

/ 30x30 concrete slab water cure #8  
I cover my slabs with clear plastic sheating and flood cool hose water between it and the slab mostly because I generally pour mid spring to early summer where the day temps range from between 70d and 85d, my largest slab being 40'x60' down to 6'x8'. I use clear plastic so I can see the water coverage-don't use black as it heats up the process.

/ 30x30 concrete slab water cure #9  
I cover my slabs with clear plastic sheating and flood cool hose water between it and the slab mostly because I generally pour mid spring to early summer where the day temps range from between 70d and 85d, my largest slab being 40'x60' down to 6'x8'. I use clear plastic so I can see the water coverage-don't use black as it heats up the process.

Same here. Clear plastic and water from the hose.

There don't have to be puddles everywhere, but it has to be damp everywhere.

/ 30x30 concrete slab water cure #10  
Convenient topic to have run across ...

Just had the floor of my garage poured today, with the finish work completed about 1:00 PM, then they sprayed a sealer to help prevent stains later.

Asked my concrete guy about wetting the surface, and he recommended waiting until mid-day tomorrow to give the sealer time to dry. Is it worth trying to keep things damp, or is the sealer probably doing as much good as I could hope to gain from keeping it damp, anway?