Clearing timber for a horse Pasture

/ Clearing timber for a horse Pasture #1  

scesnick

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
I have about 25 acres that was timbered in 1976. it is now grown up pretty thick with various species of trees with the average size about as big around as your leg. This 25 acres is really just useless land as it sits. I would like to clear it and make a horse pasture with a large pond on it.

I am thinking of selling it as pulpwood if that is possible and then use that money to pay someone to clear the stumps etc..
does anyone here have any experience in the pulpwood industry?

Last edited:
   / Clearing timber for a horse Pasture #2  
I'd hope that you're treed area is zoned properly for harvesting. Every tree that I cut down on a lot of my land has to have a replacement planted because of my zoning.

That being said I work at a pulp and paper mill but I'm not sure how you go about selling wood to them. We do have a couple of tree brokers listed locally here that will do all the leg work but I assume they take a decent cut of your profits. I'll be curious to see how it works out for you.
:)7

/ Clearing timber for a horse Pasture #3  
I know that the deal for a couple of new sub divisions here was that a logging company cleared the roads (including stumps) in exchange for all the trees.

They brought in a tub grinder and left everything looking pretty good.

/ Clearing timber for a horse Pasture #4  
Generally timber is sold two different ways. Loggers or timber buyers will offer a per ton price for varies species or a set price for all the timber. You are generally better off selling by the ton. You can contact loggers or buyers yourself and get bids on the timber or you can hire a forester to do the selling and oversee the project for you. The forester normally takes 10% off the top for his/her efforts. Value is really determined by local market. Presently in NW Georgia pine pulp is selling for $10 to $10.75 per ton and hardwood pulp $5.50 to $6.50 per ton. Prices for saw pine are around $28 per ton. Prices vary a great deal depending on the distance the timber has to be hauled to a buying mill.

A good place for you to start would be with the state forestry department. At least here a state forester will come look at the timber and give you an idea of its marketability. They generally keep a list of local loggers and timber buyers as well as educational brochures on selling and sample contracts. Your contract is very important to protect your interests. There are numbers of sample contracts on the internet.

A newer trend in logging is chipping the garbage that was normally left behind to sell as bio fuel for the mills. The mills get bio credits and you are left with a much cleaner site. If the same is being done in your area look for a logger that is running a chipper as well as harvesting the logs. The chips are not worth much to you but the site will be in much better shape.

You might also want to check with your tax consultant before logging. Capital gains on timber sales are handled differently than other types of capital gains.

MarkV

/ Clearing timber for a horse Pasture #5  
As mentioned, get a forester (state or private) involved for guidance, both from the permit (Gov't has become real involved in making your decisions) side and from the best value as pulp and goal of land cleared. Sometimes clearing the land is cheapest and easiest if they can push trees over to get stumps out.
I assume you are looking at the bottom line cost/return per acre. From your description of the tree size, there isn't much value there to pay for the cost of clearing. A forester looking at the site will be able to sum that up much better for you. Many variables to consider...too many to consider site unseen. :)

/ Clearing timber for a horse Pasture
Thanks for the info fellas. that is exactly the kind of avice I was looking for.

/ Clearing timber for a horse Pasture #7  
Not sure you will get much for pulp wood there and if you are not rather close then you probably will not get them sold that way, one way you may make some money is to cut for firewood if there is a population near by. The other option is to cut them for fencing species dependent for the perimeter for the time being. (you didnt say what it was in there.) if it is a hard maple forest syrup is ok on trees that size if you are not concerned for the trees I make syrup from my trees and get plenty from about 30 taps for myself for 2 years at a time..

mark

/ Clearing timber for a horse Pasture
Not sure you will get much for pulp wood there and if you are not rather close then you probably will not get them sold that way, one way you may make some money is to cut for firewood if there is a population near by. The other option is to cut them for fencing species dependent for the perimeter for the time being. (you didnt say what it was in there.) if it is a hard maple forest syrup is ok on trees that size if you are not concerned for the trees I make syrup from my trees and get plenty from about 30 taps for myself for 2 years at a time..

mark

It is mostly red oak and white oak with a few cherries mixed in and maybe a few ash here and there. Westvaco (large paper mill) is only about 15 miles from the property. that is why I was thinking pulpwood.

/ Clearing timber for a horse Pasture #9  
I purchased a timber tract,25 acres, last year and I retained a professional forester at no cost to walk my property. The Forester had a wealth of knowledge to share and helped me make the right decision for my situation.

/ Clearing timber for a horse Pasture #10  
I have about 25 acres that was timbered in 1976. it is now grown up pretty thick with various species of trees with the average size about as big around as your leg. This 25 acres is really just useless land as it sits. I would like to clear it and make a horse pasture with a large pond on it.

I am thinking of selling it as pulpwood if that is possible and then use that money to pay someone to clear the stumps etc..
does anyone here have any experience in the pulpwood industry?

Mature ash or walnut will bring highest dollar around here. Wood for firewood will bring more money than wood for pulp in our area.