Sewer Line Leak Testing???

/ Sewer Line Leak Testing??? #1  

dieselscout80

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland TC45DA
I have a septic tank and a basement with a bathroom and PVC drain pipes.

If the main line to the septic tank gets plugged the waste water will start to come up through thre concrete floor. I cut through the floor and can see the pipe.

I'm not sure what/where the leak is could the joint between the basement shower, sink or the toilet be the cause?

How can I test my sewer lines for a leak?

/ Sewer Line Leak Testing??? #2  
I have a septic tank and a basement with a bathroom and PVC drain pipes.

If the main line to the septic tank gets plugged the waste water will start to come up through thre concrete floor. I cut through the floor and can see the pipe.

I'm not sure what/where the leak is could the joint between the basement shower, sink or the toilet be the cause?

How can I test my sewer lines for a leak?

Mini Cams they can send through the pipes.

/ Sewer Line Leak Testing??? #3  
Sounds like a major problem that justifies hiring a plumber. Rather than the line leaking it may be plugged up. The water from upstairs has no place to go. Perhaps renting a roto-rooter to clean the line would be worth a try?

/ Sewer Line Leak Testing???
Sounds like a major problem that justifies hiring a plumber. Rather than the line leaking it may be plugged up. The water from upstairs has no place to go. Perhaps renting a roto-rooter to clean the line would be worth a try?

As soon as I ran a snake down the outside clean out the water went down and the leak stopped.

/ Sewer Line Leak Testing??? #5  
if you can draw and post a diagram of the lines/layout it may help others offer advice...

if it is possible to cut and plug the basement line from the main line it may be easier to isolate the break...

Here is basic drawing, but I'm guessing on some of it since I bought the house used.

I do know the line from the basement toilet comes straight out cause I found it when I cut the floor, but if it does a 90° or a pair of 45° to get to the main line who knows. I'm guessing on the basement sink / shower too.

Like I said it doesn't leak when the main line to the septic isn't plugged.

Attachments

• Sewer Line Drawing.jpg
    Sewer Line Drawing.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 292
Last edited:
   / Sewer Line Leak Testing??? #7  
nice graphic...you seem quite capable..

My first observation suggests it should not be difficult to isolate the basement and find the problem...

FWIW...I will show this thread to my nephew's father in law that will be visiting tomorrow (holiday bbq) who happens to be the chief plumber (employed by)for the University of Georgia and see what he thinks...it will be later in the afternoon before he will see it so feel free to add anything you deem relevant...

/ Sewer Line Leak Testing??? #8  
A-HA, my area of expertise!:D (I"m a 10 year veteran sewer and drain cleaner!)

Ok diesel, when you say water is coming up through the concrete floor, do you mean literally? In other words is it weeping up through the concrete itself (cracks in the concrete?), or do you just have water/sewage standing on the floor and can't figure out where it's coming from?

If the first example is the case, then you've obviously got a broken/cracked/or dis-jointed pipe. Usually in a situation like this, I would video the line, pinpoint the problem area and dig 'er up:(, but I can tell you it won't be cheap if this is the case. In my area(NC) video/location of a line would run you around $250-$400 alone, not counting the cost of repair:(

Now if the second example is the case (the floor is just flooded and you're sure it's dirty water), then the first places I would look would be the toilet flange and the shower. Water rises level and will come out at the lowest point first. The base of the toilet and the shower drain are the lowest connecting points in a typical plumbing system, UNLESS you have floor drains in your basement (such as an A/C condensation drain which can sometimes be connected to the sewer).

If your toilet has a mis-aligned or deteriorated wax seal (Wax donut ring which seals the toilet bowl's drain outlet to the flange of the drain pipe) and the sewer backs up, it will push/leak water out from underneath the toilet, flooding the floor. If that's the case, then all ya' got to do is go to Lowe's, get a $ .99 wax ring, a set of $3 toilet bolts, pull the toilet and put the new ring and bolts on. If that's not the case, then it may be bubbling up out of the shower drain and or floor drains (if you have those).

Now having said this, even if you fix a leaking seal, that doesn't solve the issue of the line stopping up. Sewer lines do not stop up for no reason, something is creating the blockage. Possible causes are feminine products/ flushing paper towels (neither of these break down like toilet paper and can easily get hung up in pipes).
Tree roots will also grow into a sewer pipe and create a blockage, but if the entire line is pvc then that's not likely...usually roots are only a problem with cast iron or terra-cotta drain lines.
Also if a line does not have sufficient downgrade(fall), debris can accumulate in low/flat spots and stop it up.

Has this only been a recent problem or is it a constant recurring problem?
How old is the house/plumbing?
Are you on a septic tank or do you have city sewer hookup?
(Sorry about all the questions, but the more you can describe your system/problem, the more I can narrow down the possible causes and solutions.:D)

/ Sewer Line Leak Testing??? #9  
Sorry 'bout that last question, I re-read the post and see you're on a septic tank...

I noticed this morning that the water level in the toilet was low.

The water in the toilet bubbles when the upstairs shower is being used. I ran a hose down all the vents from the roof back in June.

The water that came up yesterday came up through the concrete (I can see the point it comes up at.) This is the 2nd time it's happened in the year we've owned the house.

The house was built in 1989.