Shed floor strength opinion

/ Shed floor strength opinion #1  

fred46

Tractor
ford 1910
I am in the process of renovating my former chicken coop to a storage barn for my tools and lawn equipment The building is 12 x 20 and the floor joists were 12' 2x6 on 24 centers. Working from the inside I removed enough flooring to place a double 2x8 beam down the center supported my cement piers every 7'. This cut my floor joist span to just under 6'. The finished flooring will be 2 layers ---3/4 plywood over 3/4 planking. The heaviest item I plan on storing in it will be a garden tractor I am estimating to be around 850lbs. Do you think this is strong enough as is ? I could add more 2x6 making the joists 12"oc but it would be alot more work as I would have to remove more flooring to do so. any opinions ?

/ Shed floor strength opinion #2  
i think if it were me i would add some more 2x6 while it is torn out.you say the biggest thing would be a lawn tractor but what about the other stuff .they all add up to more weight

/ Shed floor strength opinion #3  
Fred,

I would suspect the old floor had a good amount of flex/bounce to it, and once you install the support beam if you jump up and down in the middle and sides and it does flex I say you have a good solution.

I had an old barn with notched 6" beams 2' OC spanning 11' with no other support - well that didnt hold up to the weight of my 71 Ford F250 4x4 with plow.. I learned the hard way after having the ford winched out of the bottom of the barn.. no damage other than the floor!

At the end of the day your solution will work IMO for what you intend to use it for.. For a 4000 Lb tractor - no but for a 900-1000LB GT should be fine.

/ Shed floor strength opinion #4  
sounds like a good plan. should be fine.

/ Shed floor strength opinion #5  
If you have some short lumber from your cuts,feel free to just nail them to your existing joists midway on the span. This will add more strength and is better than just discarding your short stuff. This step should only take a few minutes particulary if you have a framing gun.

/ Shed floor strength opinion #7  
The 2x6's at the span are fine, but the plywood over them at 2 ft centers is going to flex on you. With occasional usage, it shouldn't be that big of a deal, but if you use it on a daily basis, it might become an issue.

Adding additional 2x 6's to cut the span in half will give you a much more solid floor and if it was mine, that's what I would do. I would also use construction adhesive and deck screws to attach the plywood to make it even stronger and eliminate any squeeks.

It's more money, but if done right, you will never have to mess with it again.

Good luck,
Eddie