First Post - Many Projects (long post)

/ First Post - Many Projects (long post) #1  

Kyle241

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Hey everyone. This is my first post with my new login name as I had discovered this site many years ago for some great Kubota info. Now I have rediscovered it and have been consuming as much info as I can because I have a full plate of projects that are in the planning stage or I have started to execute. They are in order:

1) Trail through 50-75yr old forest to connect front and back of property.

2) Pole barn/garage

3) Pond for fishing (Trout is the plan)

I have started #1 as we have 89 acres whereby the initial 1/3 is hardwood forest and I made a trail through there with my B20 without any problems. We then have a 9 acre pasture so I just took my bushhog to that. Then I have this forest that hasn't seen the light of day for a long time (approx. 20 acres). It's a mix of black spruce, yellow birch, white cedar, ash (not sure whether it's green or black), red maple, balsam and popler. Unfortunately it's the lowest point of our property and due to standing for so many years, there is a lot of composted materials that have made it seem like a 'light peat' soil. Not sure how deep yet but it's 'springy' when you step on it and it holds water in the Spring. I blazed a trail through this with my trusty Stihl and when it went South, I bought a new Husky 455 which helped complete the rough trail. I then spoke to and ended up contracting a gentleman with a dozer to clean it up and what I thought, de-stump it (this was before I learned on here that dozers don't do this well). I warned him about the wet ground and my concerns that he wouldn't be able to and showed him the rough trail. He stated he could do it and his dozer would 'float' without a problem. Well long story short, I was right and he was wrong and he only got about 100 yards in and all I got was a mud pit of a trail. The rest remains except I moved all debris off the trail and now have stumps. I am trying to determine the best equipment to get in there and make a trail. These are my thoughts:

- make some ditches to try and keep water away from trail
- install a few culverts to run water under the trail
- use my B20 to help remove some stumps
- bring in rocks from rock walls on property to stabilize ground better or build a corduroy road
- even better, start building my pond which was going to be close to the beginning of this part of the trail and use the dirt to raise the trail

Here's a picture of what the dozer did to the beginning of this area.
DSC_00753519.jpg

Any good suggestions/ideas?

I'll post my questions on the pole barn separately and the pond I am planning based on info from Pond Management - Fisheries Management - Pond Boss Magazine. I have learned a number of things that EddieWalker has done, just wish I had all his equipment!

Tks.
Kyle