Tractor
    L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211

Default Summer landscaping and road work

I spent the better part of the summer landscaping around my new place - I took an extended vacation and did a lot of tractoring.

The grounds had the trees removed 25 years ago, but basically had nothing else done - grounds were lumpy, rocky, mis-graded, mostly sand, and covered with misc. brush. The driveways were carved mostly from existing base material, and hadn't been worked in years. I spent most of the time pulling rocks while re-grading both the grounds and driveways. Easily pulled out about a half-million boulders or so. I also made a 100' long 2'x2' french drain that crosses through the area next to my barn to assure proper drainage for the surrounding grounds - it used up 20 yards of washed stone. When all was said and done, I had restored and re-surfaced 1100 feet of 12' driveway and two parking areas (~5000sq. ft. total) with ~6" of nitpack gravel (3/4" stone mixed with stone dust) for a grand total of 360 yards of material brought in, for a total driveway/parking surface area of just under a half-acre. I also reclaimed a little over a half acre of scrub, graded and loamed it with 235 yards of organic loam (dirt mixed with rotted poo - yummy). I'm seeding this weekend. I also trenched ~100' below frost line to replace my well line and run power (jet pump to submersible conversion - what a PITA).

I used my 2500-hour ratty kubota 4200GST, carrying a Woods 9000 backhoe, Woods RB72 grading blade, and Bush Hog 6' landscape rake with gauge wheels (the Bush Hog rake is a POS, BTW). I also cut a clearing in the woods that overlooks my beaver swamp, and traded a little loader work with my neighbor in exchange for his grinding the stumps out of the clearing.

I got an estimate for the road work of roughly $15,000 + materials. I'm sure that didn't include all of the rock picking. I estimate the landscaping work to easily be twice that if I hired it out. I paid $15k for my tractor/BH/trailer when I bought it 5 years ago... SO, not including the well work or stumps, and not including the bonus of keeping myself busy all summer (AND losing 25 pounds), my tractor paid for itself 3 times over this summer alone. Wicked.

JayC

Tractor
    New Holland TC40

Default Re: Summer landscaping and road work

I'd say you did well on the money. If you have another 25 lbs to lose, I have some rocks you can pick

Plus, you have the satisfaction of having done it yourself without dealing with contactors. Never a bad thing.

Dave.
    "Those were the days my friend, we thought they'd never end ..."
    When there is a huge solar energy spill, it is called a "nice day"!

Bronze Member
    Tractor
    Ventrac 3000

Quote Originally Posted by Jay4200 View Post
    I also trenched ~100' below frost line to replace my well line and run power (jet pump to submersible conversion - what a PITA).
    Trenching 100 feet below the frostline. Now that is some nasty permafrost if you must go 100 feet deep.

John
    --
    I can make sawdust from wood as well as anyone. In fact, I'm remarkably efficient at it, with very low losses. Yes, an occasional project escapes from my shop without becoming chips and dust.

Tractor
    L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211

Quote Originally Posted by sawdust_maker View Post
    Trenching 100 feet below the frostline. Now that is some nasty permafrost if you must go 100 feet deep.
    Alright...trenched 100' AT 4.5' deep. There. OTOH, it DOES get pretty cold up there...

JayC