Summer landscaping and road work

/ Summer landscaping and road work #1  

Jay4200

Veteran Member
Tractor
L4200GST w/ LA680 & BX2200D w/ LA211
I spent the better part of the summer landscaping around my new place - I took an extended vacation and did a lot of tractoring.

The grounds had the trees removed 25 years ago, but basically had nothing else done - grounds were lumpy, rocky, mis-graded, mostly sand, and covered with misc. brush. The driveways were carved mostly from existing base material, and hadn't been worked in years. I spent most of the time pulling rocks while re-grading both the grounds and driveways. Easily pulled out about a half-million boulders or so. I also made a 100' long 2'x2' french drain that crosses through the area next to my barn to assure proper drainage for the surrounding grounds - it used up 20 yards of washed stone. When all was said and done, I had restored and re-surfaced 1100 feet of 12' driveway and two parking areas (~5000sq. ft. total) with ~6" of nitpack gravel (3/4" stone mixed with stone dust) for a grand total of 360 yards of material brought in, for a total driveway/parking surface area of just under a half-acre. I also reclaimed a little over a half acre of scrub, graded and loamed it with 235 yards of organic loam (dirt mixed with rotted poo - yummy). I'm seeding this weekend. I also trenched ~100' below frost line to replace my well line and run power (jet pump to submersible conversion - what a PITA).

I used my 2500-hour ratty Kubota 4200GST, carrying a Woods 9000 backhoe, Woods RB72 grading blade, and Bush Hog 6' landscape rake with gauge wheels (the Bush Hog rake is a POS, BTW). I also cut a clearing in the woods that overlooks my beaver swamp, and traded a little loader work with my neighbor in exchange for his grinding the stumps out of the clearing.

I got an estimate for the road work of roughly $15,000 + materials. I'm sure that didn't include all of the rock picking. I estimate the landscaping work to easily be twice that if I hired it out. I paid $15k for my tractor/BH/trailer when I bought it 5 years ago... SO, not including the well work or stumps, and not including the bonus of keeping myself busy all summer (AND losing 25 pounds), my tractor paid for itself 3 times over this summer alone. Wicked.

JayC

/ Summer landscaping and road work #2  
I'd say you did well on the money. If you have another 25 lbs to lose, I have some rocks you can pick :laughing:

Plus, you have the satisfaction of having done it yourself without dealing with contactors. Never a bad thing.

Dave.

/ Summer landscaping and road work #3  
I also trenched ~100' below frost line to replace my well line and run power (jet pump to submersible conversion - what a PITA).

Trenching 100 feet below the frostline. Now that is some nasty permafrost if you must go 100 feet deep. :laughing::confused2:

John

/ Summer landscaping and road work
Trenching 100 feet below the frostline. Now that is some nasty permafrost if you must go 100 feet deep. :laughing::confused2:

Alright...trenched 100' AT 4.5' deep. There. OTOH, it DOES get pretty cold up there...

JayC