You can't use telephone wire to wire up you outlets anymore in Iowa.

/ You can't use telephone wire to wire up you outlets anymore in Iowa. #21  
I would expect that in the USSR not the USA.
What the heck does that mean?

/ You can't use telephone wire to wire up you outlets anymore in Iowa. #22  
Well, RIT, you are close to getting your redneck license anyway! Heheheheheheh... that's the ticket, using whatever is on hand to git 'er done!

On a sober note: I say that is too bad! Not the phone wire part, but that you cannot do it yourself, then have it inspected. That seems reasonable to me. Inspector still has to pass the job, no matter who does it. But... no, no, gubmint is taking all the "pioneer" spirit away from all us RITs.

/ You can't use telephone wire to wire up you outlets anymore in Iowa. #23  
At least your rules are "homegrown", we suffer under the thumb of the European Union. Them, together with the tendency of our own beaurocrats to "gold plate" everything that comes out of Brussels is making life just as maddening over here.
The rules on sheep tagging have just changed again, this is the third set of tags and applicators I've had to buy. Every single sheep in the UK now has to have not only it's unique identifying number tag but also an electronic tag. Beats me as the first thing that happens in the abbatoir, ( after slaughter) is to remove the head, complete with tags. Cattle are another matter, every cow has a "passport" if you move it to another farm the passport must be sent in with all the relevant details filled in. If the cow is over 30 months old it cannot be sent to the abbatoir as they send it for rendering. I can kill it at home, although I have no experience of how to humanely slaughter, that's legal. But once slaughtered, as I am the owner, only I can legally eat it. The wife, the kids, neighbours, nobody else can eat it. I can't sell it or even give it away. No longer can we put dead lambs out for the foxes and raptors, (as people have done here for hundreds of years), now they must be collected in a sealed truck at our expense and incinerated. On another subject, new rules coming in soon mean you cannot fit a tyre (commercially) without a certificate of competence. (I presume in tyre fitting), yet I can fiddle with someone's brakes commercially without any restrictions. How long before they spot that loophole in the regs is anyone's guess. When I built my house 10 years ago, the electicity company wired up to the main meter board in the garden at the base of the pole, I hooked in my own main cable to the house while they were there, they checked for shorts and left me to it. No idea of current regs, but doubt if they'd let me do it now.
Me? if the rule is stupid I ignore it, they can't shoot me (yet).
Seems to me much of the regs are civil servants running round finding things to justify their existence and creating paper trails and jobs for somebody to follow them. :mad:

/ You can't use telephone wire to wire up you outlets anymore in Iowa. #24  
Where I live in NE IL I don't need to be licensed to do electrical. Plumbing is another story. I did the plumbing when I built a rental. I was told I couldn't do it myself but a little investigating proved I could. I think the threshold is multi-family and commercial. Here, anytime electrical or plumbing rough in are changed we need to get a permit and inspection.
All contractors that work in my county have to be licensed and bonded. The bond is payable to the county! The license costs $100 a year. No test, no certification, just proof of insurance, bond, and of course MONEY. They use the license fees to pay people to make sure you have a license.
One small town requires a city contractor's license. Their reasoning was to make sure contractors had liability insurance. BS! They already required an insurance certificate to get a permit. The people running these building departments are building their own little empires.
Most of the inspectors are pretty decent. There was one guy who was not qualified in any way to be a building inspector. He had previously been a barber. Didn't matter what the code book said. That guy made up rules as he went along. When he moved out of state an announcement was made at the home builders association meeting. The announcement got a standing ovation.

I own some land in southern IL. I do not need a permit for anything other than a septic system, and thats because its a state requirement. Technically roofers are supposed to be licensed in IL, but there's no way to enforce that in many areas of southern IL as there are no building departments in some counties and towns.

If they require a license to do electrical, plumbing or anything else on someone else's home so be it, but I'd have a real problem with someone telling me I couldn't work on my own home or out buildings.

A neighbor built a room addition without getting a permit or inspections. When the building inspector and tax assessor came around he ran them off with an AR15. The sheriff showed up shortly afterwards and my neighbor explained that he ran off a couple of trespassers and he'd do it again. They never returned.

/ You can't use telephone wire to wire up you outlets anymore in Iowa. #25  
Wow, 033..., that is suffering needlessly! What a mess they have created for people in UK. Ours is rapidly heading in the same direction, I fear; even in rural areas of America. :(

/ You can't use telephone wire to wire up you outlets anymore in Iowa. #26  
Wow, 033..., that is suffering needlessly! What a mess they have created for people in UK. Ours is rapidly heading in the same direction, I fear; even in rural areas of America. :(

I'll preface this by saying that I've only been to Europe once, but I went to a few different countries while I was there (honeymoon)-with regard to regulation Europe is a perfect example of what overpopulation/overcrowding can do. Everything in Europe is 10lbs of stuff crammed into a 5lb box. When you have that many people competing for space, resources, etc...you end up with more regulation. Everything is also a lot smaller! Roads, buildings, rooms, toilets, etc...are tiny. There is very little of what we Americans would call "open space."

The flipside of this is that at least in southern Europe, there are lot less "nanny state" type laws which are commonplace here. There are no helmet laws (not sure about seatbelts), you can buy alcohol literally anywhere and you're free to drink it while walking down the street, and ATVs, dune buggies, etc...can be legally driven on the street. You can also eat and drink things that would never be allowed here in the U.S. in the name of "food safety" like unpasteurized beer, cheese, milk, etc... But we were talking about building codes right :laughing: Here in New Jersey (certainly not known for LACK of regulation) I can do basically any kind of work myself in my own home as long as it passes code, which seems pretty reasonable to me.

/ You can't use telephone wire to wire up you outlets anymore in Iowa. #27  
There are a lot of pros and cons to this story. Many feel that the code is a PITA and a way to have the government to snoop into your life with greedy unions hand in your pocket, and yes to that. But this was all brought about by your own doing. On other forums we have had long arguments about wiring to code. Some of the photos of panels are incredible, 60 amp services with a 150 amp total load, open splices, no ground, ground, hot, neutral mixed up. Some I cant begin to describe. Remember, the NEC was mostly written by Fire Marshals and why is that?

/ You can't use telephone wire to wire up you outlets anymore in Iowa. #28  
Remember, the NEC was mostly written by Fire Marshals and why is that?
Because it wasn't all that long ago that a building had a 50-50 chance of being burnt to the ground in its first ten years. But people want to fantasize how much better it was back in the day. When people were free to do as they chose. As if it were ever the case.

/ You can't use telephone wire to wire up you outlets anymore in Iowa. #29  
Holy cow ! And this is the United States ! Where has the pioneer spirit gone ?
Here we have building permits, bringing electricity or water to the property must be done by professionals (you can dig the trenches yourself to save a bit), installing a septic tank requires a permit and you must adopt such and such a system according to the nature of the soil.
But inside your house, you can use telephone wire for outlets, and do whatever you like. I did all the electricity and plumbing myself, including 2 toilets, a bath, 2 showers etc. There has never been any inspection.
I liked the description of crowded Europe, I'm absolutely fascinated by the gigantic open spaces you have in America.
I'm not sure our numbers and Europe will bring more regulations, Americans seem to be real champs in the matter. Of course our British friends will always resent the least appeatance of meddling in their affairs and maintain their originality.

/ You can't use telephone wire to wire up you outlets anymore in Iowa. #30  
Holy cow ! And this is the United States ! Where has the pioneer spirit gone ?
Here we have building permits, bringing electricity or water to the property must be done by professionals (you can dig the trenches yourself to save a bit), installing a septic tank requires a permit and you must adopt such and such a system according to the nature of the soil.
But inside your house, you can use telephone wire for outlets, and do whatever you like. I did all the electricity and plumbing myself, including 2 toilets, a bath, 2 showers etc. There has never been any inspection.
I liked the description of crowded Europe, I'm absolutely fascinated by the gigantic open spaces you have in America.
I'm not sure our numbers and Europe will bring more regulations, Americans seem to be real champs in the matter. Of course our British friends will always resent the least appeatance of meddling in their affairs and maintain their originality.

Lots of states here in the USA, we can do all that you do without a permit. The catch is: It has to be on a Farmhouse where you live and a specified minimum acres on the farm. Ken Sweet