Lots and lots of dirt here

/ Lots and lots of dirt here #1  

yooper1

Veteran Member
Tractor
New Holland T1510
Well, there is a sewer and water project going on in my neighborhood. the contractor was trucking old fill about 10 miles to dispose of it and I offered up the end of my 5 acres for them to dump it in. It is about 4 blocks away from the physical project so it saves him money on fuel. The contractor agreed to level it out too. This way I get the lot filled in and leveled free.

So....I have been playing around there with my new New Holland T1510 tractor.

Here are some photos of the lot.

Here is how it looks from the street
oct2_2010_1.jpg

and a bit to the left from the street
oct2_2010_2.jpg

here is the trail I have been keeping open.
(it is the only way my father can get from his street behind me. He needs to come thru the field to my street and then out of the neighborhood. His street is unusable due to the water project and rain and MUD MUD AND MUD) He is very elderly and sometimes forgets to put the Tahoe in 4wd "before" getting in the deep mud....then he walks to my house and I get to pull him out and hear his ranting.

First from my end looking north
trail1.jpg

Then about 1/4 of the way up, looking back south
trail2.jpg

It took me about an hour just to cut through this pile. The soil is clay based and very wet and heavy. I just was experimenting here to get used to the tractors abilities. Even with 493 pounds of rim guard in each rear tire, my rears would occasionally raise off the ground if I tried to lift a full bucket. I had to limit myself to 1/4 buckets
oct2_progress1.jpg

Here is a shot of my truck against the piles to show the size(s)
oct2_2010_size.jpg

I would have taken some shots of my tractor there in the dirt, but the darn thing was acting up and I sent it back to the dealer.

I will try and update this thread with me and my tractor's progress. Hopefully I can / will have enough dirt and time to play around before the project comes to an end and the contractor takes their huge loader and levels all the piles for me.

/ Lots and lots of dirt here #2  
I was going to ask, where is the tractor :D

/ Lots and lots of dirt here #3  
You are lucky - I wish I could find some free dirt!

/ Lots and lots of dirt here #4  
Always nice to get free dirt. Gives a tractor owner something to play in, if nothing else. I am on a list that gets me "free" dirt, but I give the driver a twenty ever time just to keep it coming. The twenty is about a fifth of what dirt costs here, on a good day. Might want to keep this in mind in case one of your neighbors finds out about the same deal and offers to give the contractor $$$ for it. I saw them hauling dirt and stopped the driver and asked him where it was going. He told me, and I offered a twenty to any he could bring my way. Now I get a lot more than I ever managed to when I was just "on the list".
David from jax

/ Lots and lots of dirt here
<snip> The twenty is about a fifth of what dirt costs here, on a good day. Might want to keep this in mind in case one of your neighbors finds out about the same deal and offers to give the contractor $$$ for it. </snip>
David from jax

I hear you there.

Fortunately almost every other lot or property in the neighborhood is the normal sized lot....something like 110 by 200 or so.

My 5 acres is a lucky option / size to have here in the city limits.

no one in about a mile (and away from where they are working) has any room for the trucks to get in and out

But....I have bought the guys , the truck drivers, loader driver and the foreman beer twice now. That is all they wanted.

Problem is the second time it cost me $86 due to one of the truck drivers wanting wicked iced tea...

but it is still cheap no matter what anyone says

They have dumped approximately 55 to 6o semi-dump truck / trailer boxes of fill there and have leveled it out twice.

I gained about 25 feet of level space where I want to put a pole barn in the spring

/ Lots and lots of dirt here #7  
I got 65 truckloads of dirt about 6 years ago and it only cost me 1200 dollars, and I thought that was GREAT. Seems like I also bought lunch, but I didn't count that. You are lucky!
David from jax

/ Lots and lots of dirt here #8  
Lucky. :drool: If i want dirt, i have to dig a hole or skim the top layer. just not near as fun as a whole new pile though. :confused2:

/ Lots and lots of dirt here #9  
Looks like a fun project!

/ Lots and lots of dirt here #10  
Looks like everybody wins on this deal. :)