Pond from hot tub

/ Pond from hot tub #1  

riptides

Tractor
Kubota ZTR, RTV, MX6000
So my hot tub, kind of sprung some leaks in a lot of the return tubing. It is around 15 years old. I was thinking about sitting it in the ground and making a deep pool out of it. I'd re-route re-do the major intake and return, feed it to where a water fall would feed the "pond".

I'd line it with insulation and motar/stone layouts.

I'd leave access to the pump accordingly.

What is the collective thought on this project? :)

/ Pond from hot tub #3  
Should work fine, one of our ponds is a Rubbermaid stock tank sunken into the ground.

Attachments

• Gardens 2009 023 - Copy.jpg
    Gardens 2009 023 - Copy.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 1,284
   / Pond from hot tub #4  
Sounds like a cool idea. But pictures are needed as well as a picture of the hole you dig. :D:thumbsup: here is our pond, i dug it out with the 3720. It is a little overboard but it sure is a cool feature to the ranch. we also added 2 rock decks, one for visiting and BBQing, the other for sitting around out 4 foot camp fire pit. it was once 5 feet deep until one day when me and a family friend were at home working and the our friend had me get a few scoops of dirt with the tractor and fill the hole in since when you had a fire, the flames only came up to the rim of the pit. Much better now and if we ever need extra roow, we can just dig the dirt back out. :thumbsup:

Attachments

• 10-1-10 008.JPG
    10-1-10 008.JPG
    919.6 KB · Views: 469
  • 10-1-10 010.JPG
    10-1-10 010.JPG
    926.8 KB · Views: 422
  • 10-1-10 015.JPG
    10-1-10 015.JPG
    914.6 KB · Views: 743
  • 10-1-10 014.JPG
    10-1-10 014.JPG
    955.9 KB · Views: 401
  • 10-1-10 011.JPG
    10-1-10 011.JPG
    924.2 KB · Views: 588
   / Pond from hot tub #5  
jd3720,

I don't know much about ponds. But I do like them... so for the first stupid question:
Do you have a source for water ie: stream or spring or is the water recycled through the water fall to the pond?

/ Pond from hot tub #6  
I think a hot tub pond is a great idea (provided it's not one of those old pink ones!:D). The circulation is ready to go, the shelves provide different heights for plants and stuff, great. The circulation may be too strong though so you may have to reduce it.

Jacob, nice pics! I see you beat 2500 posts!

/ Pond from hot tub #7  
jd3720,

I don't know much about ponds. But I do like them... so for the first stupid question:
Do you have a source for water ie: stream or spring or is the water recycled through the water fall to the pond?

The water is recirculated!

/ Pond from hot tub #8  
Residual chlorine is the biggest issue I see if you intend to put small fish in there they wont tolerate even the most minute amount other than that should be a neat project!

/ Pond from hot tub
Hey, Happy New Year.

Ahh... my project (don't look at the date of this thread :) ) has run into a concern.

I dug the hole,

DSC_0267.JPG

moved the hot tub,

DSC_0294.JPG

positioned in, did a LITTLE backfill..... and..... then.....

The rains came.

I had the tub covered, and had a tarp over the area.

I seem to have a water issue.

A lot of water......

I think I struck a stream or finger of water.

I noticed my hot tub, leaning this AM. It is not floating, :), but it had a lot of water around it.

I sunk a submersible pump in a bucket next to the deepest part. I drained the water, but I notice one side of the hole is weeping water a little.

We had a LOT of rain, and the tub sits on a slight, very slight incline, so I am not sure what to do.

I wanted to finish it today, but with the water issue, I need ideas.

The area it was positioned in, was always dry.

Ideas welcome!

/ Pond from hot tub #10  
When I read the initial post I thought: "Excellent idea for re-purposing a useless hotub",
But I was thinking that you would strip the wood away and keep only the fiberglass or plastic portion. It looks to me that you have attempted to bury the entire tub.
Opps!
That's not how I would do it.
As far as the water problem goes your going to have to either pick a spot that water drains away from or change the terrain to accommodate.
You can still use the pump but it needs to be above ground and plumbed back to the tub.
I think you should start over and do a little shade tree engineering, while understanding that this is going to be a huge waste of time and money if not designed properly.

Last edited: