The gully to pond project

/ The gully to pond project #491  
Have you had any more problems with hydraulics on trailer? Hope you can find the extra tee fitting if you ever need it. :D

/ The gully to pond project
:thumbsup:Nice work Jim.

I could really use a TBL:(

Thanks David.:) The only problem with a full-sized TLB is it makes you take on much bigger projects.:confused2: It also makes you everyone's 'new bestest friend' on the block.:rolleyes: I really do love this LB75.B New Holland. The only major repair I've had has been two brake master cylinders. They were an easy job, but over $300 ea and both bad.

/ The gully to pond project #493  
Great project Jim!!! It's always fun to follow your adventures and see how much use you're getting out of your backhoe. It really is the single best piece of equipment for doing so many things!!!

Do you have enough room to load the trailer with the backhoe? I've found that digging, then loading the pile to move it takes three times as long compared to just loading it when you dig it the first time.

Eddie

Have you had any more problems with hydraulics on trailer? Hope you can find the extra tee fitting if you ever need it. :D

Ron, I have not had any problems with the dump trailer since it broke the first time. It was just pickin' on you.;) If you remember, when I found the guy in Bridgeport with the "T", I got two of them so I'd have a spare. Because I have a spare, it will never break again in a million years.:D The hoses and quick connect fittings work perfectly. I'm saving the shuttle valves for another project where I can orient them properly.

Great project Jim!!! It's always fun to follow your adventures and see how much use you're getting out of your backhoe. It really is the single best piece of equipment for doing so many things!!!

Do you have enough room to load the trailer with the backhoe? I've found that digging, then loading the pile to move it takes three times as long compared to just loading it when you dig it the first time.

Eddie

Eddie, this backhoe has just tremendously expanded my capability. I'm so glad I bought a fairly new TLB that hasn't really had anybody mess with the mechanics or wiring. I do wish the previous owner had invested in more grease. The fact that all greased joints now ooze grease is a badge of pride to me. All parts are available when I go to order something. Just last week I ordered both front flashing amber lights and one rear light to replace the missing ones. All the white worklights work perfectly, but the flashers need replacing. I want to be able to run the flashers while on my county road and if I ever drive out on the paved roads. The front lights were $38 each and the rear light (dual red-amber) was $49. That's cheaper than I could find similar universal replacements and they are the right part that bolts right up to the mounting holes. The lights should be in today or early next week.

I'd love to be able to load the trailer from the backhoe, but that is just not possible with the amount of boom swing and orientation I have to be in when digging. If I put the tractor along and parallel to the bank. the low side outrigger wants to sink as I reach out on the low side to dig. A bucket full of wet soil out at the side of the backhoe is a VERY heavy and makes everything feel tippy. Since the FEL cannot sit flat on the slope, the high side outrigger lifts up and the low side buries itself. I try to not dig out more than 45 degrees when I'm in that position.

If I back the tractor down onto the dry bottom, I can put it much farther out and reach an additional 6'-8' or so out with the backhoe. I also can place the digging spoils on each side of me near to the bank where I can then get them with the FEL without the front wheels sinking because the soil is firmer. Being able to make two big piles and dig in a complete wide arch means I can move a lot of material without having to move the tractor. To me, I'm far less likely to end up with my tractor stuck in the lake. Once I stack the dirt in big long piles on the bank, I can still get to them if/when the lake rises. Getting the silt out of the lake before it fills is my priority. Also, when I start hauling with the blue tractor and trailer, I can drive down and turn to go back up in one big sweeping circle. I don't have to back the trailer into a tight spot or deal with that first pull up a steep grade. With the space I have to work and the terrain, I feel really comfortable doing it the way I'm doing.

BTW: I can dig down in the lake silt about 18" and it is wet muddy soil. I only have firm soil out 8' to 10' from the normal shoreline. That much room is just enough to build big piles and move them with the FEL and never sink. However, if I get 2" of slick muck on top of that firm soil, it's like banana peels. When I see my front wheels spinning, I know it's time to reach down and step on my differential lock to get both rears pulling. A huge heaping bucket of wet sticky sand/soil is extremely heavy. I don't think I'd even attempt this job without a 4WD TLB.