The gully to pond project

/ The gully to pond project #1  

jinman

Rest in Peace
Tractor
NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee
I talk a lot about my land and gullies because at least half of my property has deep gullies from eons (aeons) of erosion. I have slowed much of this erosion by terracing and controlling where water flows, but there is probably no telling how long ago some of this terrain formed. Now that I've purchased a fairly new loader-backhoe, I plane to reshape some of the gullies and dam up narrow passages to see if I can convert the unusable land to ponds.

The attached picture shows the view from the deck on the south side of my house. The near gully is the first I want to convert to a pond with the far gullies at a later date. The mounds of dirt in the middle will be moved to fill in other washes and pits as well. Oh yes, in the photo you can see a single t-post in the foreground. This is my marker for my aerobic septic system sprinkler to keep me from running over it.

Attachments

• SmallPondStart_02.jpg
    SmallPondStart_02.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 1,976
   / The gully to pond project
My wife snapped a couple of pictures of me on the tractor as I started the excavation.

Attachments

• SmallPondStart_03a.jpg
    SmallPondStart_03a.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 1,420
  • SmallPondStart_04.jpg
    SmallPondStart_04.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 1,103
Here are a couple of photos from opposite sides after I began moving dirt. You can see how the hillside drops. I have several terrace plans to direct water from surrounding areas into this central pool. In the second picture, you can see a depression in front of the tractor at the top of the rise. This is going to be filled in completely and planted with grass to hold down erosion.

Attachments

• SmallPondStart_05.jpg
    SmallPondStart_05.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 1,027
  • SmallPondStart_06.jpg
    SmallPondStart_06.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 1,023
In these two photos, you can see the bottom of the gully and where there is a ditch between two hillsides. After I get all the dirt removed, I'll dam across the ditch up to a level of about 25' or more for the dam and 40' wide at the base using red clay.

Attachments

• SmallPondStart_10.jpg
    SmallPondStart_10.jpg
    109.6 KB · Views: 727
  • SmallPondStart_08.jpg
    SmallPondStart_08.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 861
Here is a better photo of the area I will completely fill. I've used this area as a sand pit and now I need to fill it in so I can make it smooth for mowing and a nicer looking yard.

Attachments

• SmallPondStart_12.jpg
    SmallPondStart_12.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 747
Finally, here are four pictures that show a panoramic view. I was standing on a mound in the middle of where the pond will be and moving from left to right to show the terrain and where the current ditch is that drains the gully. This is going to be a challenging project and one that I'll have to be very careful with since there are many opportunities to roll my tractor. Even so, I think it is doable and I look forward to the finished results. I'll just keep digging and posting photos as I go along. It won't be as big as Eddie Walker's lake, but it should be fun.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• SmallPondStart_17.jpg
    SmallPondStart_17.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 585
  • SmallPondStart_16.jpg
    SmallPondStart_16.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 536
  • SmallPondStart_15.jpg
    SmallPondStart_15.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 529
  • SmallPondStart_14.jpg
    SmallPondStart_14.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 790
   / The gully to pond project #7  
Great undertaking. Terracing to improve your land is a worthwhile endeavor.
The one thing you need to remember is, mother nature originally used that area to dump a lot of water at times. She may again want to dump lots of water there.
Prepare for another flood and have the water go where you want it to go. Dave

/ The gully to pond project #8  
That's heck of one man project Jim.
Glad temps are cooler for all that seat time ahead..looking forward reads w/pics. :)

/ The gully to pond project #9  
All I can say is, man, how can it get much better? Enough land, time, and your own tractor with back hoe and FEL to do that! Looks good to me. I know nothing about pond building, except in my county, you must have someone come out to let you know if you can build a pond on your property. The only requirement I know of, is you must have 10 acres. Looks like you beat that! Happy tractoring!

/ The gully to pond project #10  
Looks like fun! I just looked up your location- I go that way up hw 287 to my mothers in southern Oklahoma.