Burn Pile advice

/ Burn Pile advice #1  

woodlandfarms

Tractor
PowerTrac 1850, Kubota RTV x900
So, I messed up. I was able to tarp 2 out of 5 of my burn piles.

It has rained for a while, my two covered piles, gone in 30 seconds today.

My 3 wet ones... no bueno.. smoking hulks. I used Diesel, propane torch, they are just too wet.

So, do you think I could tarp the other piles, maybe leave a high spot (high branch) area open to allow moisture to escape, and come back in a month or two and have a decent burn or will I just have a moldy pile of sticks to contend with.

Carl

/ Burn Pile advice #3  
Did you use something dry to help start things? You would be surprised at what will light when you put a 8" flake of (dry) hay under it and pour on a pint of used motor oil or diesel fuel.

Aaron Z

/ Burn Pile advice #4  
So, I messed up. I was able to tarp 2 out of 5 of my burn piles.

It has rained for a while, my two covered piles, gone in 30 seconds today.

My 3 wet ones... no bueno.. smoking hulks. I used Diesel, propane torch, they are just too wet.

So, do you think I could tarp the other piles, maybe leave a high spot (high branch) area open to allow moisture to escape, and come back in a month or two and have a decent burn or will I just have a moldy pile of sticks to contend with.

Carl

my neighbor makes a box before he makes the pile, like a tipi door. Once the pile is made he has maybe a 2 by 2 or 3 by 3 opening where he starts a dry fire seems to work for him.

/ Burn Pile advice #5  
If you get your starter fire hot enough, the wet stuff will dry and burn as it goes. Diesel, waste motor oil, some dry pieces to get it all rolling.

mkane09

/ Burn Pile advice #6  
I have had luck even with wet piles by putting a roll of toilet paper near the bottom of the pile and soaking it with deisel. Then pour some more fuel around that area. As said above, once it gets burning, the fire will dry the wood around it as it goes. I got the t/p idea here on TBN.

Norm

/ Burn Pile advice #7  
If you get your starter fire hot enough, the wet stuff will dry and burn as it goes. Diesel, waste motor oil, some dry pieces to get it all rolling.

mkane09

I agree. We sially use a bit of dry straw and once that is going, start dumping used motor oil on til the fire is self-sustaining.

But if you do tarp, I think it will be just fine. It is the sae as tarping firewood left outside. A few sunny days and it will get real hot under there and dry it out. But even if you dont tarp it, a few sunny days and you should be fine anyway.

/ Burn Pile advice #8  
dry wood, pine needles, leaves, etc, shoved under the bottom. Put some diesel on them, then put some gas on it. Throw or use long stick to light... gas will poof, burn for a couple minutes hopefully drying out a lot, and diesel and dry piles will burn longer. One of my piles last year required numerous cups of gas tossed on before it was dry enough to continue burning :laughing:

/ Burn Pile advice #9  
Hospitals are made for people using gas on fires. dumb very dumb.

/ Burn Pile advice #10  
Leaf Blower helps too.