Overkill Industries toolbox and chainsaw holder

/ Overkill Industries toolbox and chainsaw holder #1  

dstig1

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota L5240 HSTC, JD X738 Mower, (Kubota L3130 HST - sold)
Here's a little project I just finally finished up. I really needed a place to hold my toolbox and a chainsaw on the tractor as I use it heavily for clearing our land. I figured that since I had a solid toolbox already well stocked, that I should just make a holder so I can drop it in when I use the tractor and take it out when done. Best place I found was on the crossbar of the ROPS, so I made a tray out of some 2" x1/8" angle and made a couple uprights out of the same to cradle it. It's a bit kludgy as my welding skills are not so good, but it works. I just clamped it around the crossbar with a couple long bolts (didn't want to drill the ROPS).

So then I was thinking about how to hold a CS. I have a Stihl 362 w/20" bar that I wanted to be able to fit (and a small one that would fit in its place sometimes). Bar pointing down made the most sense, and I found a clear spot on the toolbox tray for it. Here's where I go off the deep end...:D Well, I was thinking it needed to be wood so the chain doesn't get banged up for sure. So I thought about plywood or 2x's but in the end I figured it would be easier if I just used some leftover quarter sawn white oak for it. Plowed out a wide slot for the bar on both pieces of ~7" w x 7/8" thick QSWO and then made a cap/mount from a thicker 1.5" block I had handy. 3 coats of gloss spar varnish later, and here we are!

I going to guess I have the only QSWO chainsaw holder around :D\

And of course the pics... A bit hard to see with all the clutter in there, but you should get the idea.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Toolbox_saw_holder (Medium).JPG
    Toolbox_saw_holder (Medium).JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 7,974
  • Toolbox_saw_holder (1) (Medium).JPG
    Toolbox_saw_holder (1) (Medium).JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 15,149
  • Toolbox_saw_holder (2) (Medium).JPG
    Toolbox_saw_holder (2) (Medium).JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 10,392
  • Toolbox_saw_holder (3) (Medium).JPG
    Toolbox_saw_holder (3) (Medium).JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 9,630
   / Overkill Industries toolbox and chainsaw holder #2  
Looks very nice indeed. I have a similar set up on my 3400. Only I removed the ROPS so I had to use the cross peice that was already there for the fenders.

It doesnt look like you will have a problem if using the winch but the think I don't like aout the location is that the visibility is very limited when using my 3PH with the hitch on to hook up to the trailers. Or even hooking up implements. But with yours being removable that might not worry you. Mine is more or less just a tray to throw a few wrenches and log chains in.

But very nice work indeed.

/ Overkill Industries toolbox and chainsaw holder #3  
Looks good.

I was just reading past posts about tool boxes.

I gotta get me something

/ Overkill Industries toolbox and chainsaw holder #4  
Hey nice looking set up i will have to look and see if i have room behind my seat to do the same .What i noticed first was the Farmi winch i have the same JL250 Love it ever had any trouble with yours? I have not so far bought it used 3 years ago. I really need a place to have a tool box and to carry my saw.The problem i see is when i lift my winch all the way it would hit the saw.I could set my lift to stop sooner but less lift i guess hua?

/ Overkill Industries toolbox and chainsaw holder
Thanks, Jeff! I planned this out so I could put my mid range saw (Stihl MS362) plus the toolbox on the tractor. It fits fine with the 3 pt arms at any position as I was able to plan it and make everything fit. You can see the lift arm at full raised height, just to the left of the PTO shaft in the 2nd photo, if you know what you are looking at. I have a 20" bar on that saw, which covers a lot of tasks. I can also put my tiny limbing saw in there instead, depending on what I am using. You could put a 22" bar in there for sure, and maybe 24" but that would be pushing it.

The Farmi is actually borrowed from a friend. He bought it back around 1979-1980 for his firewood business when he was in high school, and it has sat largely unused until he got it out here to mount on my tractor. It required a fair bit of work to get functional as the main backbone was bent by some yahoos using it in the intervening years. I had a shop cut off the bent part and replace it with a new straightened section. I had to do a few other thing to make it happy again, but I never got around to painting it. It could really use it... I think these things are awesome for logging work.

/ Overkill Industries toolbox and chainsaw holder #6  
Hey Dave--this looks very good--Well done it is--Been wanting to something like it for a while on my Kubota B2230---your photos have helped me figure out how to build mine----so far I only have a single angel bar clamped to the rops--Need to buy a tool box so I can continue.
I have a similar chain saw holder on my ATV.

Thanks for posting the photos :thumbsup:

Thanks! It has performed great for me all this summer too. Not in the way at all, and easy enough to access. Plenty sturdy.

/ Overkill Industries toolbox and chainsaw holder #9  
Well here is mine--just finished---well kinda----still needs paint soon as I see if the welds hold ( I'm no welder :D ). I just kinda threw it together with whatever I had around here.
Thanks for you idea (post) Dave :thumbsup:
Click to enlarge ↓
DSCN0756.jpg

Looks good. If your plan is to place a toolbox in that tray, I would HIGHLY recommend some deeper supports for it so it doesn't bounce out. I just used another piece of the 2" angle at each corner, and angled it slightly to match the draft angle of the side of the toolbox.