Thanks for help! Building 32x48 barn/cabin

/ Thanks for help! Building 32x48 barn/cabin #1  

l8_apexer

Tractor
John Deere 4300
Been reading with interest here for the past 2 years about pole barn projects, cabins, etc-- looking for ideas & knowledge on what to do. Everyone who has been posting here has been very helpful and this has been a great source of information.

finally, after over a year of planning-- we're on our way! Last week, the site was leveled, the bldg framed, septic system installed, and the steel went on! Concrete is being poured this week, the well get drilled this week as well-- looks like power will come next week.

Attachments

• barn_raise1.jpg
    barn_raise1.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 223
  • barn_raise2.jpg
    barn_raise2.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 268
  • barn_raise3.jpg
    barn_raise3.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 220
  • barn_raise4.jpg
    barn_raise4.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 218
   / Thanks for help! Building 32x48 barn/cabin
Here's some shots of the progress....

Attachments

• barn_raise5.jpg
    barn_raise5.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 221
  • barn_raise6.jpg
    barn_raise6.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 432
  • barn_raise7.jpg
    barn_raise7.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 373
Goal is to have a barn-- to house tractor, ATV,s equipment-- and room to process deer! This is going up on property we bought for recreational use-- about 50 acres of great MidWestern deer hunting, and close to a state park with a beautiful lake. Recognized early on that this has to be a place that TheOneWhoMustBeObeyed would appreciate and be willing to hang out when the overly indulgent deer hunter wants to go to the woods.

Here's some shots of the design goal: courtesy of another client my realtor has-- it served as my inspiration

Attachments

• barn_ideas4.jpg
    barn_ideas4.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 207
  • barn_ideas3.jpg
    barn_ideas3.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 280
  • barn_ideas2.jpg
    barn_ideas2.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 234
  • barn_ideas1.jpg
    barn_ideas1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 265
more shots of the design goal:

Attachments

• barn_ideas5.jpg
    barn_ideas5.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 255
  • barn_ideas6.jpg
    barn_ideas6.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 199
  • barn_ideas7.jpg
    barn_ideas7.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 314
  • barn_ideas8.jpg
    barn_ideas8.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 218
Question: What is recommended for heat?

I had originally considering doing the radiant heat in the concrete, then rejected it since it takes over 24 hours to get warm. Then thought I would use baseboard heaters and a wood stove-- I was advised to consider putting in a heat pump since it would give both heat and AC. Just not sure its worth the extra cost.

I can see why housing starts are down-- this is EXPENSIVE for things like septic, water, tap fees for power. The price of the building was the cheap part!

/ Thanks for help! Building 32x48 barn/cabin #6  
Do I detect open barn dance welcome soon under the harvest moon. ;)

/ Thanks for help! Building 32x48 barn/cabin #7  
For ideas related to the HVAC we might need to know how you intend to occupy it. Are you going to use it year round? Are you looking to keep it at a certain temperature and adjust when you're there? Is the HVAC only going to be used when occupied? Seems like there'd be the hassle of insuring the pipes didn't freeze in the winter if you don't leave the heat on year round. Might be a good idea to get some ideas from HVAC guys around there.

/ Thanks for help! Building 32x48 barn/cabin #8  
Question: What is recommended for heat?

I had originally considering doing the radiant heat in the concrete, then rejected it since it takes over 24 hours to get warm. Then thought I would use baseboard heaters and a wood stove-- I was advised to consider putting in a heat pump since it would give both heat and AC. Just not sure its worth the extra cost.

I can see why housing starts are down-- this is EXPENSIVE for things like septic, water, tap fees for power. The price of the building was the cheap part!

How you heat depends on your plans. It sounds like this is an occasional use recreational place. You'll need something to keep your water lines from freezing, but you'll want something that can heat it up quickly when needed. I'd recommend a few electric baseboards to maintain a temp of about 40 degrees and a nice large wood stove for the quick heat. There's nothing like the comfortable heat that comes from a wood stove.

I'd pass on the heat pump unless your summers get very warm. You have to consider the cost of purchase PLUS the cost of maintenance.

Weekend use primarily-- please a week or two in the November-January timeframe. We are planning on having the pressure tank for the well and the hot water heater in an insulated closet that we would keep at about 50 degrees. The plumbing is going to be pex tubing, and set up so I can blow out the lines when I leave. We'd like to try and keep the place about 45-50 degrees when not there during the seasons (October-end of Jan) and then "winterize" it all and shut everything down for the balance of the winter.

Is this a feasible approach- or should I plan on just having to keep it at 45-50 degrees throughout the winter?

/ Thanks for help! Building 32x48 barn/cabin #10  
Plumb every thing back to low points and drain there
My cabin is off grid and in the boonies and I have 4 valves to drain the whole system inside and one in the well it just takes some fore thought.

tom