Gate Opener

/ Gate Opener #1  

catfishdaddyengineering

Silver Member
Tractor
2009 Cub/Yanmar EX3200TL
I am looking at using the Mighty Mule FM350 gate opener and a Solar Panel. My only problem is that my house is going to be 1300'. I looked at the FM136 Keypad to Base Unit Range Extension, but its range is only 500' wireless and 1000' wired. I have wireless experience, so I emailed the company to ask what the frequency is, the Watt ouput of the transceiver, and if I could boost the range with higher gain antennas than the little omni directional ones they include. I know that I should be able to do it, but I was hoping that they would respond with another customer's experience. All that I got was a response from Hannah, who is a "Sales Fulfillment Coordinator" saying the range is 1000' wired.

Does anyone have any experience with the FM136?

/ Gate Opener #2  
No direct experience, but some experience with other wireless equipment. Often the advertised wireless range is for clear line of sight, no trees, hills OR WALLS. IOW, your control has to be outside!

Wired range should be able to be extended by the use of heavier gauge wire. It doesn't matter how long the run is, it's how much voltage drop is allowed. Heavier gauge wire will reduce the drop per 100 feet.

Ken

/ Gate Opener
Ken,
Thanks for the reply. I was thinking of putting a yagi on each end so there would be direct line of site. The house one would be outside coax running into the house to the intercomm. Maybe I will try it out and if it works give GTO a customer experience that others could use.

/ Gate Opener #4  
I am looking at using the Mighty Mule FM350 gate opener and a Solar Panel. My only problem is that my house is going to be 1300'. I looked at the FM136 Keypad to Base Unit Range Extension, but its range is only 500' wireless and 1000' wired. I have wireless experience, so I emailed the company to ask what the frequency is, the Watt ouput of the transceiver, and if I could boost the range with higher gain antennas than the little omni directional ones they include. I know that I should be able to do it, but I was hoping that they would respond with another customer's experience. All that I got was a response from Hannah, who is a "Sales Fulfillment Coordinator" saying the range is 1000' wired.

I have to do the same thing. I'm 1,200 feet. I also want a video feed to the house. I'd really appreciate if if you could keep us (or me) updated on what you do.

/ Gate Opener #5  
If the wired connection could only work up to 1000', I think I might consider moving the control and charger in 300' to the 1000' mark and extend the power wires to the linear actuator on the gate. There's nothing that says you have to have the controller and charger at the gate. Sure, it makes working on problems a bit more convenient, but long wires to the actuator might work as well as trying to extend the wired controller signal. Certainly, you will need a large gage wire for the power to the actuator because it is only 12VDC. Any voltage drop will sap power from the actuator's motor.

/ Gate Opener #6  
It's not likely that the unit will work fine at 1,000 feet and then not work at 1001 feet. There is a slope to the absolute cutoff distance to where the unit will not work at all. I'm sure the 1,000 foot spec has quite a bit of SOA (safe operating area) built into it to keep customers from calling. Should you decided to experiment a bit, you'll probably find you can go quite a bit further than the 1,000 feet and still have it work. At 1300 feet, you are only 30% longer than the published spec. Many companies build in a 50-100% SOA spec.

Like the previous poster says, thicker wire will extend that range as well.

/ Gate Opener #7  

Hiya,

We have a similiar problem brewing. I have held off on a gate and entrance to my property becaucse of this reason.

I am curious to see your results.

/ Gate Opener #8  
Before you purchase the Mighty Mule I would first take a drive and check out all the gate operators that are hanging disconnected. The vast majority of them are going to be GTO (mighty mules).

I once took a GTO class offered by King Metals here in Dallas. It was a one day thing and the lure was one free operator for attending.

I never got the free operator but didn't consider that a loss.

One thing I did learn was the attendees that loved the GTO products were guys who specialized in repairing them. Business was great according to them.

Automatic has a new operator out that is supposed to compete pricewise with the Mighty Mule. I've had good luck with Automatic operators over the years. I also know one of the owners and believe he wouldn't be associated with a substandard product.

An operator like the Apollo or Automatic Patriot is going to cost you at least half as much up front more. It's money well spent.

The Apollo operator is manufactured and home based close to you. They're also a great operator that I've had good luck with over the years.

/ Gate Opener #9  
I use mighty mule, and have a wireless keypad outside the gate for people to enter.. and I use the lil 'keychain' xmitters in my vehicle so I can get out or in. if you have people needing out.. another wireless keypad or wireless keychain style in a 'dry box' at the exit would do it.

soundguy

/ Gate Opener #10  
For getting out (and in for that matter) I have a door bell button wired to the opener on one of those white vinyl fence posts. The nice thing about the vinyl posts is you can run the wire up the inside and just set the post cap on top to access the wire if needed.