farm pond restoration project

/ farm pond restoration project #1  

farmerjim

Gold Member
Tractor
jd h, jd 50, jd2010,jd 790,case530hoe
we are looking to restore the farm pond on my familys farm. besides clearing around the edges we also need to kill all the weeds in it w/ out killing the fish and other aqua critters. this pond when full will drain into a small seasonal stream which feeds a lake. does anyone know of any good herbicides for water weeds that are safe? right now the pond is very low from a summer drought and i have started to dredge the edges and get things going so i would like to get the herbicides or other stuff going while its low so the downstream side isn't affected very much if at all. thanks for any help.

/ farm pond restoration project #3  
you may want to check with your local codes, dumping chemicals into a body of water that runs into a lake may get you into trouble.

/ farm pond restoration project #4  
There is a product called sonar AQ that will disperse and kill ALL vegitation, even the grass and small trees rooted at the wagers edge. It disrupts photo synthisis. Its self spreading but mucho $$$ Recommend using when plants are growing yets waterflow is minimal, it needs a fair amount of contact time. For surface algea only, Reward, or cutrine work great. If they are submerged grasses, aka hydrilla, ur best bet is to drain it and muck it out as no mater what you kill it with it Will, reapeat will come back again due to its bedding in the mud through fragmentation. All the chemicals mentioned are fish safe btw, just becareful of mass die off of algea an o2 depletion fish kill.

/ farm pond restoration project #5  
check out the rural living froum, i just posted a ton of pond links from psu.
One way to kill the vegitation is to use grass carp. these will not reproduce but require a permit in pa.

/ farm pond restoration project #7  
i can help you with this one.when i was young my dad would have me to wade in and pull the cattails out by the roots but they just kept coming back.i knew there had to be and easier way.i asked a man that killed weeds for a living . he didnt know for sure so he called the owner of the co.he told me round up was the best.its made with a oil base so it floats on top of the water it wont hurt fish at all but for safety dont eat fish for 3 days after spraying it will kill catails.lilypads and grass around the edge of pond.you dont cut the catails spray every thing above water. then wait for what had went to seed when it grows enough to get above the water spray it agian and you will not have any catails at all.the owner sent me the paper work that the state and epa put out for using roundup and they oked for its use

/ farm pond restoration project #8  
Do not use round up, its formulated for dry land use and is very toxic to marine life, the "aquatic version" of it is called rodeo or other brands and still needs to be mixed with a surfactant to disperse it properly on the leaves, bear in mind it is only effective for emergant type plants.

/ farm pond restoration project #9  
Copper Sulfate used very very carefully. Quite a bit of data on the internet. Our city has a pond which is stocked heavily and the fish are fed. Because of this overstocking the scaled fish sometimes get a fungus. Copper Sulfate is used to kill the fungus on the fish so it is "claimed" not to harm fish. Copper sulfate will kill the root system of water plants and also control algae to some degree.

/ farm pond restoration project #10  
well the only different thing between rodeo and round up is rodeo is not a name brand i use it on my farm pond it doer not hurt fish only kills catails/lily pads/grass it is a one time burn off the same if used on land or water it floats because its oil base .i did call the state of ohio and asked what to use for leechs they told me to use copper sulfate to kill them but said it would kill all the fish also.so i figure to let the bass and catfish take care of them.