Generators Diesel vs PTO

/ Generators Diesel vs PTO #1  

CowwFace

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE HST, 401FEL, RB40-96 pivoting Rear Blade
Hey List,

I'm looking for a backup generator for my house .. we typically loose power a few days a year due to snow ... but one never knows what the future will hold.

I'm leaning toward a 3600rpm portable Diesel motor generator .. can get one (Looking at ETQ 6000 model) for about $1100.00 ... vs a PTO driven unit for the tractor ... Can get one at this site for about $500.00 plus shipping.

Do any of you's guys have any experience with the ETQ brand .. I don't think it would last forever... but for only a few days a year I would hope I could get 10 years out of it?

My Kioti has a 540 PTO, so I don't know what ENGINE RPM I would have to run to get the pto generator to spin at the correct speed ... It would kill me to leave the ol girl screaming over the idle speed for hours at a time??

Any Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

/ Generators Diesel vs PTO #2  
It would kill me to leave the ol girl screaming over the idle speed for hours at a time??.

This seems to be popular sentiment here. So I have to ask why?

I have left a tractor running at PTO rpm on a generator for days and had tractors blowing silage at WOT for 10-12 hours a day.

/ Generators Diesel vs PTO #4  
Any Engine, Gas or Diesel that runs at 3600 R.P. M. wil not last very long if used very much. I would go with the P.T.O. type.
Poppy

"Very long" is kinda subjective. At two days a year, maybe your whole lifetime.

/ Generators Diesel vs PTO #5  
I like having my PTO generator BUT take this into consideration. Do you live where you get a lot of snow? Keep in mind that the tractor is useless to move snow while it is pulling PTO Generator duty. You will have to shut down the operation in order to use the tractor for other duties.

Personally we loose power more in high wind / tropical type storms (hurricane) in VA. Once in a while we will get a heavy dose of snow or ice but it shouldn't take me very long to clear the driveway for my 4x4 truck or Subaru.

Something to think about.

/ Generators Diesel vs PTO
"Very long" is kinda subjective. At two days a year, maybe your whole lifetime.

Well Travelover, you have to remember I'm a spry young 44yo ... with a prostate the size of a coconut ... I might just outlast any diesel eh? ... hehehe

Any Engine, Gas or Diesel that runs at 3600 R.P. M. wil not last very long if used very much. I would go with the P.T.O. type.
Poppy

But wouldent that apply to my tractor screaming away at a high enough RPM to get the generator head up to the proper speed...

But a thought is to use a larger pulley on the PTO and smaller on the generator to get some mechanical advantage there?

/ Generators Diesel vs PTO #8  
Do you have LP or NG available?

This seems to be popular sentiment here. So I have to ask why?

I have left a tractor running at PTO rpm on a generator for days and had tractors blowing silage at WOT for 10-12 hours a day.

Hey Duffster,

I think you are right. On the farm I would run the tractors and combine etc at high RPM's all day and not even wince ... (but of coarse that was on my father's dime) ... I think looking at the tractor as a tool instead of a toy would help me in this area... dang!

I like having my PTO generator BUT take this into consideration. Do you live where you get a lot of snow? Keep in mind that the tractor is useless to move snow while it is pulling PTO Generator duty. You will have to shut down the operation in order to use the tractor for other duties.

Personally we loose power more in high wind / tropical type storms (hurricane) in VA. Once in a while we will get a heavy dose of snow or ice but it shouldn't take me very long to clear the driveway for my 4x4 truck or Subaru.

Something to think about.

Hey Mango,

Yes this is a great point.. In Colorado here if/when we loose power it is typically due to large snowfall or wind pushing trees over the lines. I can keep my boiler going with a 12v RV battery, and we have a small 1000 watt honda generator I keep the pellet stove running with ... so it's warm. .. .And I have to use the tractor to clear the drive and road so I can make it to the liquor store .. .. maybe I can talk the wife into another tractor for PTO generator?

As I look for these things.. I had no idea some of the road lights etc you see ... them generators are $30k plus!!! dang!!!