Garage entry problem

/ Garage entry problem #1  

HiTechTed

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
I put a garage door in the rear of my garage so I could get in and out for plowing snow without having to move a car out of the garage. Long story short, with Christmas coming I just don't have the money right now to pour an approach and a pad as I had planned on doing. I attached a picture of my "situation" and as you can see, there's a 14" drop between the garage floor and the ground.

What would you guys do as a temporary (but safe and effective) way to make this usable? I have tons of dirt at my disposal, but I figured that dirt alone wouldn't be enough to build a ramp up to the garage floor. All I know is that I need to be able to use this garage door but I can't pour concrete until next year. Do you think maybe riprap would work for the time being? I would like to be able to back the tractor into the garage safely. I'm open to suggestions....

DSC02370.jpg

/ Garage entry problem #2  
Cr6, without question... Cheap, no mud, compacts well and you can use it later as part of your concrete base.

/ Garage entry problem #3  
Just remember that what ever you put in will have to come back out to put the slab in, well maybe not all of it. I doubt you will need a 14" slab. Backfill partially with dirt then add some crusher run on top 3" and it should hold you till next year. I would think that if the soil freezes where you are, there wont be any mud till next spring.

/ Garage entry problem #4  
Crusher run, 0-3/4 this is gravel with multiple sizes from 0 to 3/4 of an inch. it packs like concrete, I built some wooden sides to keep it from spreading too much, over time, it is the ramp to my building, and my drop is about 2 foot, works great, last a long time, this could be a perm. solution for you if you wish, and as someone else pointed out, it can be the base for the concrete if desired.
James K0UA

/ Garage entry problem #5  
I'd build a ramp out of pressure treated lumber and write a how-to article about it to cover the costs. That's just because an article that says, "Use 3/4 down crushed lime," isn't long enough to sell though.;)

I'd stake in some temporary forms along the sides to hold the rock in place and build a ramp out of crushed rock. When you go to build a permanent concrete ramp, remove enough of the crushed rock to make it level, but the rest will serve as a base.

/ Garage entry problem #6  
I'm with everyone else on this. Have load of crusher run brought in. I'd get more then I needed and keep the left over pile covered as best as possible.
Place some treated 2-by material along the sides for forms. I'd place these about 6"-8" wider then the door. Then build up the stone. If done right there wont be any need to pour concrete later. The crusher run will provide better traction in icy condition any way.

Also how far out are you planing on going from the wall. 5' is a 13 degree slope and 8' is 8 degree slope. Lower slope means it's easier to get into the garage. Not sure what the difference between tractor width and opening, but I like to go as slow as possible when it's close.

Wedge

/ Garage entry problem #7  
Do you have any timber stock laying around? It doesn't have to run full length if you haven't any longs, just a couple of sets placed where the tires roll out. Use what you have!

/ Garage entry problem #8  
Ok nobody has said this yet so...

I say....just wait and let the snow build up there..and then pank it down....it will be perfect for the winter and will go away on it's own in the spring.

That is how my city street department does pot holes this time of year, they just let the snow fill them in

;)

note the word "pank"....A yooper term for ....pack, flatten, stomp, tamp

/ Garage entry problem #9  
If you want a temporary solution get a couple of rough 2 x 10's so they're actually 2" thick. Make or buy a couple of brackets that are used to make loading ramps for pickups and bolt them to the end. If the plank flexes in the middle put a couple of temporary supports there. Make sure that they can't skid out on you.....Mike

/ Garage entry problem #10  
Do you have any timber stock laying around? It doesn't have to run full length if you haven't any longs, just a couple of sets placed where the tires roll out. Use what you have!

Ya thats what I want is an ice ramp when trying to get my tractor through a door. :confused:

Wedge