Switchback trail down a hill, suggestions wanted

/ Switchback trail down a hill, suggestions wanted #21  
Would it not work to start and end the trail at/near the edge of the property so you'd only have one switchback turn to build? Alternatively, the closer to the edges you start/end, the lower the average slope of the trail will be even if you end up with two switchback corners.

Are you going to compare the cost of building/maintaining the trail with some sort of tram system? I remember using a really nifty electric tram on a steeply-sloped golf course in Seattle a few decades ago. It had a wooden platform large enough to hold a couple of golf carts (the hill was too steep for the carts).

BOB

/ Switchback trail down a hill, suggestions wanted
Starting and ending at the edges would be more efficient but starting and ending in the middle directly connects the house and dock which I would prefer despite additional work.

I have investigated trams and gondolas. I believe that a gondola system may be the most cost effective solution. Although a walkable trail would provide some useful excercise and is my wifes preference. The end solution may be a minimal width hiking trail accompanied by a gondola (cable car).

/ Switchback trail down a hill, suggestions wanted #23  
i think with the imba info and a mini ex you can carve out a nice trail .... its the kind of thing that you will want to leave as many trees in place as possible and the smallest dozers are really close to to big ..... or use you tbl ........ just slow and steady also there are mountin bike groups in most areas they build trail as volenter projects maybe hook up with them ... and learn some skills

/ Switchback trail down a hill, suggestions wanted #24  
i think with the imba info and a mini ex you can carve out a nice trail .... its the kind of thing that you will want to leave as many trees in place as possible and the smallest dozers are really close to to big ..... or use you tbl ........ just slow and steady also there are mountin bike groups in most areas they build trail as volenter projects maybe hook up with them ... and learn some skills

Idaho Parks and Recreation bought a mini ex that has adjustable tracks and goes down to 27 inches wide. It is perfect for single track trails. Of course if you just want a walking trail you can do it with a Pulaski and a McLeod to ;)

/ Switchback trail down a hill, suggestions wanted #25  
Interesting thread... thanks for posting!

/ Switchback trail down a hill, suggestions wanted #26  
Compacting the spoils would significantly reduce the work. But the hill is so steep that I think it will eventually fail creating more work or worse with my kids on it.

Full bench is always more stable. Most likely you will need at least some of the spoils, and rocks, to build out areas for the switchbacks. I think the switchbacks are best located using a slight rise in the land as seen on the right end of the topo you posted. This way the upslope is naturally cutback and you can build a platform with rock walls and spoils to give you the area you need for the radius of the turn.

/ Switchback trail down a hill, suggestions wanted #27  
If you follow the guidelines in the links with proper slope then like was mentioned you can just dig on the uphill side and place the spoils on then downhill side. As long as you manage the water drainage, you will be fine. Compacting the soil will help minimize erosion until the disturbed soil settles. You could compact the soil with a walk behind compactor you can rent for $ 50/weekend. Or you might compact the soil by driving over it with your Gator. What needs hauling off should be minimal.

Obed

/ Switchback trail down a hill, suggestions wanted
I will have plenty of rock to stabilize the switchbacks. My biggest concern is that I may find too much and too large of rocks. I have a B21 that will be very helpful in compacting and grading the path once it is cut. I probably could build the entire trail with the B21 but I would feel much safer making the inital cut with tracks.

I have had really good luck with "city pit" (a limey mixture of soil and rock) that was spread on my driveway 2 years ago. I can get by the dump truck load for $5.50 a yard delivered. I would likely top the trail with city pit. Once it is rained on and dries it holds together like concrete.

This is a picture of the city pit from 2008. It looks about the same today except the tire tracks are no longer visible. Those were from 22 yard dump trucks.

img_1529-120.jpg

/ Switchback trail down a hill, suggestions wanted #29  
Just get grass to grow on the spoils as quick as possible. If you do decide to slope it towards the cut in the bank just make a ditch for the water to run it and take lots of those rocks and partially fill in the ditch. The good thing about having the water run down the side of the road is it will shed the water off at the switchbacks and not down the hill onto lower sections of the road. You can also put in a culvert or two to help with the water. Once you build the road walk it a few times a year in some rain storms to get an idea which way the water wants to go.

/ Switchback trail down a hill, suggestions wanted #30  
I probably could build the entire trail with the B21 but I would feel much safer making the inital cut with tracks.

I have a B21 and have done trails with it across flatter hillsides. It is a slow process and I never felt all that safe with it, especially moving it every couple of minutes.

My mini ex does a much faster/safer/better job. A dozer would probably do it even quicker.

I doubt that the B21 could handle the big rocks you have.

Ken