From trench to swale

/ From trench to swale #1  

kongmen

Bronze Member
Tractor
L3600 Kubota
This is a continuation of a thread I started a while back on a storm water issue I have. I have a 300' x 16" trench that is about 3' deep at the deepest end (I hope to be able to backfill to about 2' if it flows well this winter) that I would like to turn into a storm water swale. I would like to hear from anyone who has done this type of thing or just knows how it's done using a tractor with loader and 6.5' backhoe attachment. Is it a matter of positioning the backhoe perpendicular to the trench and pulling back and up until I get the desired slope so it can be mowed in the mowing season? Thanks for any replies.

/ From trench to swale #2  
best bet is to you a laser to check the grade. If you have the time the tractor will work fine. I use a rear blade as much as possible then use the back hoe to rough grade then use a box blade or rear blade to finish it. Have you ever thought of puting in a tile?? I have not found the other thread. I have don't lots of tiles to fix problems like yours if its lots of water use a 6 inch or 8 inch tile.

/ From trench to swale
Yes I did put in two 6" pvc tiles and came out below the ditch line. The grade of the land goes up from the problem area to the road then down into the ditch. I think I have about one and a half to two feet to work with. The trench is what's left from removing the tile. The tile won't work because I have so little pitch to work with and the amount of water would overwhelm the tile. I just wonder how the townships do road ditches do they use backhoes?

/ From trench to swale
It's getting close to the season again so I thought I would bring this back and see if there are any more thoughts on it.

If I had a blade I would try it but all I have for now is the backhoe and loader.

So far it has flowed very well with the exception of standing water from about half way out to the road back to the problem area. I think I need to back fill and tamp that area to bring it up (the half closest to the road is already at the bottom of the road ditch so I can't go any deeper). Hopefully I can get this thing buttoned up and get some grass seed down as soon as dry weather comes because it's putting a lot of sediment in the road ditch and the township will come calling soon.

/ From trench to swale #5  
If I understand things right, you want to widen out a 3' ditch to a "swale" that you can mow ? You will have a LOT of earth to remove. Fastest way would be with the fel if its soft enough to dig and dry enough not to get stuck. A back hoe would do it but its gonna take a long time and much maneuvering...

/ From trench to swale #6  
push loose dirt into your existing ditch and then skid a log thru the ditch of sufficient diameter and length to give you a uniform grade and gently sloping sides

/ From trench to swale #7  
I would start by finding the centerline of the intended swale and set a string at finish grade at both ends and work out on both sides from there...

Except under exceptional storm conditions...1/8"-1/4" per foot should be enough pitch to move the run-off...

/ From trench to swale
Well, I got around to making the trench into a swale by using the backhoe perpendicular to the trench on each side (lots of seat time for sure). Now I have two problems:

1) it appears I may only have a couple of inches of pitch for the 300' of swale (I will be checking it with a water level) but its such a massive amount of water that it will flow once it backs up.

2) now that it is a swale (probably 8' wide crest to crest) I'm not sure how to smooth out the sides for mowing. I talked to a guy with the same issue who tried smoothing out the sides with a box blade and he said it made his worse. Any suggestions?

btw The only reason I didn't check pitch earlier is because this is the only option I have to get the water off the property.

/ From trench to swale #9  
I find I can shape and level the sides by using a clean up bucket and working perpendicular to the ditch. Scraping with the blade smooths and evens then a pass or two with the sole of the bucket tends to firm the soil and push any small rocks below the surface. I couldn't do the job properly with a toothed bucket. I had to buy a clean up bucket for the purpose and bought a 30", the widest I thought my L3130 could reasonably handle. Should have bought one years ago. I use it around the farm much more than the toothed bucket.

/ From trench to swale #10  
Should be able to back drag with the bucket from either side and then down the length of the swale.

Or drive through the swale at right angles towing a drag or harrows. You can make your own drag.

Pictures would be nice.:thumbsup: