New life for old garage

/ New life for old garage #1  

Jimmy Joe

Gold Member
When we were building our house we hadn't planned on any other buildings so put on a three car garage right away. But as the house was being built one of my co-workers told me his daughter had a garage she didn't want so we ended up moving it to our new location. It sure came in handy right away for storage, that was 10 years ago now. We have been slowly remodeling it ever since, thought I would post some before and after pictures for you. I will send the after pictures later.

Attachments

• garage 1 001.jpg
    garage 1 001.jpg
    999.3 KB · Views: 453
  • garage 2 001.jpg
    garage 2 001.jpg
    814.7 KB · Views: 313
  • garage 3 001.jpg
    garage 3 001.jpg
    661.7 KB · Views: 373
  • garage 4 001.jpg
    garage 4 001.jpg
    691.7 KB · Views: 333
   / New life for old garage
Here is a picture of the same building after some remodeling.

Attachments

• Copala on back garage 255.JPG
    Copala on back garage 255.JPG
    722 KB · Views: 354
   / New life for old garage #3  
Nice work! Can't ever have too many garages or sheds. I have 3 and could always use another...

/ New life for old garage #4  
wow ! verey nice!! I always wondered about those kind of moves, is it reeally worth it or was it more then building new ?

/ New life for old garage #5  
Nice job.

Chris

/ New life for old garage #6  
I'm curious about the cost of the move + the remodel vs building one. Looks nice...and how could somebody not want a garage?!

The building cost $2000.00 to move, I did not keep track of expenses for the remodel. So basically I got a 26x34 building I was able to use right away. When I first looked at it there was sheeting on the inside except for a few spots. In the places where there was no sheeting it was insulated, but when I got it home I found little or no insulation in most of the rest of the walls.
I removed all the interior and put steel on the ceiling, I also added 18inches to the side walls so I could put in 8 foot doors, glad I did that because when I bought a tractor it fit without folding the ROPs. My wife worked at a window company so I got the window for free. The siding and ceiling cost $1100.00 and my wife wanted the soffit to match the house so I had to replace that, don't remember the cost . The shingles were around $500.00, I used mostly left over scrap for the cupola. If I had known it wasn't insulated I may not have done it, but I'm happy with the way it is turning out and a lot of the materials would have been the same for a new build. The inside is not finished other than the ceiling, I put tubingin for infloor heat. I always wanted to put in an outdoor wood furnace to heat house and shop, but so far too much controversy over them.

/ New life for old garage #8  
It sure looks nice on the outside.

/ New life for old garage #9  
Think twice about that outdoor wood burner, Jimmy Joe. I have one for about six years now. Regardless of the weather or how you feel, baby must get fed. And unless you have a ready supply of wood, acquiring that might be a chore, or at least sort of costly. And then there's the where-to-stack-it. Lots of time involved. Geothermal may be a better investment for not much more money. Then it's merely touching a thermostat to get more heat. If I had it to do over I would NOT get an outside wood burner. By the way, I'm heating a a 145 year old, 4,000 sq.ft. house that has good insulation in half and poor insulation in the other half. Most of the house has hot water baseboards, the two baths have hydronic floor heat and there are two water heaters on this system. I go through fourteen full cords a year. I average about an hour and a half to two hours of felling, cutting, splitting and stacking to get one weeks worth of heat.

The amount of wood is one of my big concerns, I would be scavenging some and buying the rest. Every time I talk to someone with a outdoor burner they can not tell me how much they burn. I get answers like I don't keep track or I burn so much junk wood it would be hard to say. My wifes uncle said he burns about 19 full cord a year and he burns it all green. I cant see how that can be efficient. I go over there after an ice storm and there is all his wood covered with ice and the stove burning away. He gets it in pulp loads and cuts it as he burns it. He had polio when he was young and only has one good arm, you should see the size of that arm though. He is on his second outdoor burner, he loves it. He farmed all his life had a stove on the farm, sold the farm to his daughter built a new house and shop and put in another.