Properties of a reclaimed asphalt surface?

/ Properties of a reclaimed asphalt surface? #11  
I work for a paving company in pa. What you have is recycled asphalt products (RAP), old shingles, tires etc. The state requires so much RAP in the asphalt that is used a state roads. RAP may include so ground up blacktop but to the best of my knowledge is not blacktop. PiLOON described what you are looking for, it is referred to as millings. When resurfacing roads they sometimes mill off the top inch and a half, then lay a new layer of asphalt. Millings generally do have chunks in them, and when reused and rolled , especially in the heat of summer will become a very nice hard surface. If you can get your hands on some milling it should suite your need very well. Hope this helps.

/ Properties of a reclaimed asphalt surface? #12  
Just spraying used motor/hyd oil on it will also tack it together

It may look good short term but long term very negative affects.:thumbsup:

/ Properties of a reclaimed asphalt surface? #13  
Just spraying used motor/hyd oil on it will also tack it together

Engine/hydraulic oils are paraffin based. Asphalt is Bitumen based.

/ Properties of a reclaimed asphalt surface? #14  
Kub-Thank you for clearing that up for me. I thought that they might be talking about 'millings'. I not familiar with RAP. I hear 'millings' are super, but tough to come by (unless you 'wired in with the Hwy Super) and you should grade them out, and roll them, relitively soon after delivered... ~S

/ Properties of a reclaimed asphalt surface? #15  

What "very negative" affects (effects)?

/ Properties of a reclaimed asphalt surface? #16  
I work for a paving company in pa. What you have is recycled asphalt products (RAP), old shingles, tires etc. The state requires so much RAP in the asphalt that is used a state roads. RAP may include so ground up blacktop but to the best of my knowledge is not blacktop. PiLOON described what you are looking for, it is referred to as millings. When resurfacing roads they sometimes mill off the top inch and a half, then lay a new layer of asphalt. Millings generally do have chunks in them, and when reused and rolled , especially in the heat of summer will become a very nice hard surface. If you can get your hands on some milling it should suite your need very well. Hope this helps.
Yep, I'll be looking for blacktop millings myself for a driveway project.

/ Properties of a reclaimed asphalt surface? #17  
This spring we had our mile long driveway/road covered with grindings. Compacted with a roller.... This was done by some of the neighbors, done with best intentions but not a ton of skill.

This winter, more pot holes than ever before.

It is ALL about the road base. If you don't make a good road base that drains properly this stuff is no better than gravel.

/ Properties of a reclaimed asphalt surface? #19  
In NC "RAP" is what we call millings that have been processed through a crusher to most of the time a minus 1/2" size and millings are straight from the milling machine...both will work for driveways albeit both can have a very high minus #200 content (dust). They will compact but if you can get them to hold out to very hot day and roll them the residual Asphalt in them will be more fluid and compact alot better. A few paving contractors have had success with running RAP through a paver with the screed very hot and get compaction that way. If your stone base has been compacted to a reasonable density then i would think they should hold up till warm weather. I have not seen the slurry sealer do very much when applied to RAP but i have also not seen every product that is available.