3 rail fence

/ 3 rail fence #1  

kwolfe

Platinum Member
Because of my mutts (2 goldens), I now need to put up about 500ft of 3 rail fence. At 8ft section, that comes to about 60 posts and 180 rails. I have been looking around to rent a Dingo or small skid loader to help dig the holes because the ground around my house (Central PA) is clay and full of rocks. Not to mention partially frozen right now.

I have been think a lot about the lumber piece. I have just about decided on pressure treated as I can find it everywhere and it won't break the bank (did I mention I am on a tight budget). The question is, should I simpy do 4x4 posts and 1x6 rails? I was thinking of trying something different. The posts would be made of 2 2x6 that sandwhich 2x6 rails. The gap in between the rails would also have cut pieces of 2x6. This wuold give it the look of a 6x6 post with slots mitered in it. Does that make sense?

I am overthing this like everything else? Help, suggestions, comments?

/ 3 rail fence #2  
Interesting design idea... I curious what comments come in...

I was thinking of buying pressure treated 4x6 posts spaced about 6.5' and going with two let-in rails of 20' lengths.

/ 3 rail fence #3  
   / 3 rail fence #4  
Here is a very current post about other 3 rail fences.http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/191609-putting-split-rail-fence.html
I am putting in a 3 rail entrance gate area.I bored through 6x6 PT timbers, the method was very slow. The quality of the work that I am doing is almost cabinet grade on a fence. I would not wish it on any one.
I own my own backhoe and 3 PTh auger.
500 ft on a budget is a hard go, have you thought about farm wire on cedar posts.
Craig Clayton

/ 3 rail fence #5  
I have the 3 Rail Vinyl ... Love it ... no painting, treating... pressure wash it once a year.

/ 3 rail fence #6  
I did 4x4 posts on the run, 1x6's for the rails. 4x6 for all the gate posts.
The whole run has field wire around it too.
Make sure you make some rain caps for the top of the posts, so they dont rot from the top down.
I would also back fill with gravel. If one does rot it makes it easier to replace.
Knowing that rock is the one thing we can grow good in PA, I would do one post at a time, so you can get your spacing correct.
I have the fence stained, i have a wagner paint crew and just zap it every 5 years, makes painting easy.

/ 3 rail fence #7  
We had some 3 rail fence around our property and our 3 goldens could go over the bottom rail and through the fence. As a result I have been making our 3 rail fence into a 4 rail fence. The 3 rail works great for horses not so good for the goldens. You might look around your area for a sawmill that cuts oak. I have purchased 1x6x16' oak fence boards for $6.50 to $7.00 each here in central VA. They are cheaper then pressure treated boards. Rick

/ 3 rail fence #8  
Three rail, for dogs?

That's just not going to keep them in. Under, through or over. We've got four board at 52" and I've had to string tension wire between the rails to keep my pack in.

A singlet top rail with 48" of no-climb mesh is how'd I'd do it, if I had to start all over again.

/ 3 rail fence #9  
You could save a ton of money and time by just getting an electric fence. Just use a sidewalk edger to dig the trench and install the control in the house. The whole thing would be probably $100 plus a little time. The dogs would need a battery operated shocker but that just scares them more than anything.

/ 3 rail fence
All the lumber would be pressure treated so graound contact shouldn't be a problem. I have an electric dog fence, but it just doesn't stop them when they see something and want to chase it. I figure the fence will stop them from running through and if they try to climb under or through it, they will have to endure a bunch of shocks.

I am planning on have the rail spacing between 8 and 10 inches so the total fence will probably be just under 4ft tall.

Ranger,
Funny you mentio oal, because I found a local guy who has 1x6x8 rough cut oak boards for $3 a piece. He said he could also cut 4x4x8 posts for $7.50 a piece. Is oak better than PT bought from Lowes?