Shop radiant floor heat

/ Shop radiant floor heat #1  

zenmek

Silver Member
Tractor
Kioti LK3054, IH cub cadet 782, Grasshopper 721D2
I'm considering putting in a radiant heat floor system (concrete pad) in a future shop i'd like to build. I plan on insulating walls to R-19 and ceiling to a R-25~30 and use blue board under the pad. The heat will be supplied from a domestic hot water heater (electric). Does anybody have a similar setup that I could compare heating costs with? I would probably keep the temperature at about 60 degrees F. Oh yeah the sq.ft. of shop is 960, and I live in central KY. Any info is greatly appreciated!

/ Shop radiant floor heat
Thanks for the replies. DougM, Radiantec is where I was looking also, Did they treat ya good? I would sure like to know how yours pans out.

/ Shop radiant floor heat #5  
I'm sure you've given it some thought, but one guy I know isn't real happy with his use of in-slab radiant heat for a shop/barn. If you are planning to maintain a constant warm environment, you could be happy with this arrangement, but in this guy's application, he intended to keep a moderate temperature when he wasn't working in the shop, and increase the temp when he was there.

-- The problem is that the large thermal mass of the slab floor doesn't respond quickly to temperature changes, so if you "turn up the heat", don't expect your environment to warm up very fast.

Good Luck!

/ Shop radiant floor heat #6  
ljh2,

The in floor heat is wonderful but you are right about the slow warm up. Electric in our area would also be very expensive. Most people go with propane or natural gas.

/ Shop radiant floor heat #7  
Size the system for the standby heat and use radient heat for the wuick warm up

/ Shop radiant floor heat #8  
Electric water heat aint cheap!/w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif

What I would do is use some passive solar features in the design. Basicly make sure there is plenty of south facing glass where the low winter sun can heat that slab. Use overhangs or decidous trees to shade them in the summer. There are lots of sources for diagrams to size them properly, as well as, the proper placement of shading. It wouldn't add very much to the cost of the shop, and could do most of your heating.

/ Shop radiant floor heat
I like your idea of the passive solar heat, as far as the water heater, I'm lucky enough to live in an area that has one of the lowest rates in the country /w3tcompact/icons/grin.gif for electric! Thanks

/ Shop radiant floor heat #10  
there is a shop about 10 miles from me that uses radiant floor heat, and it is great; they used the orange natural gas line in their floor, and tied it to a natural gas water heater. a pump is hooked to the thermostat, and when heat is needed, the pump kicks on. i was in the shop once when the outside temp was 10degrees F; and it was very comfortable.
heehaw