Pole Barn Roof Question

/ Pole Barn Roof Question #1  

recout

I am going to have a 24x32x10 pole barn built. I was going to use a metal roof with a ridge vent. Also with 12" vented eaves. I was over a buddy's house and talked about the pole barn. He told me that his friend has a pole barn with a metal roof that has a moisture problem in mostly the summer. Has anyone had a problem with a metal roof and moisture build up on the inside of the roof? Would it help if there was a wood roof and ashalt shingles

Last edited:
   / Pole Barn Roof Question #2  
I have a 30x60 pole barn of all metal roof and siding. A couple times per year during the summer months we will have condensation forming under the roof panels.

I figured it's part of the program .. just like the mold that has to be scrubbed off the siding every couple years.

/ Pole Barn Roof Question #3  
If you put a thin layer of insulation under the metal you should not have condensation problems.

/ Pole Barn Roof Question #4  
I have an uninsulated pole barn. The condensation is a function of the weather, humidity and where you live. You do what works in your area.
Craig Clayton

/ Pole Barn Roof Question #5  
Spend the money and put the insulation in. 3 to 4' wide and 1/4" thick.

The ridge vent should take care of most of the moisture. The remaining condensation will either not form because of the insulation, or will run out between the end of the metal and insulation. JMHO

/ Pole Barn Roof Question #6  
7/16 OSB will be enough for a condensation break.

IMO condensation issues are kind of blown out of proportion.

/ Pole Barn Roof Question #9  
I guess I do have a mouse problem... anyway, I guess I try insulation (give the mice a place to call home).

What if there is a barrier with 6" of space? At least the drops would run to the sides...:confused2: anybody try that? I was thinking tar paper...

/ Pole Barn Roof Question #10  
That much condensation also sounds like poor ventilation may be a factor. Airflow under the roof will dissipate moisture and reduce condensation. Simply adding insulation to the underside of your roof may just trap the moisture between the metal and the insulation and create a mold colony.