Please advise interior barn wall cover

/ Please advise interior barn wall cover #1  

ruralNearDallas

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota 3240
See attached photo. I can attach more if requested/needed/deemed helpful.

I hope you can see the insulation on the inside walls. The framing is all welded steel square tubing.

We want to add something to the inside to protect the sheet metal, to protect the insulation, to provide something for attachments.

I had planned on using 3/4" plywood, but now understand they are $30 or more per sheet. The spans are enough that if I go 1/8" I am going to need to add nailers for strength underneath. The 3/4" would provide their own strength.

We put the cats in there for anti-mouse reasons. They have not torn up the insulation, yet, but it is a brand new barn.

Please, I am looking for recommendations.

Attachments

• IMG_2082.jpg
    IMG_2082.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 319
   / Please advise interior barn wall cover #2  
I have done part of mine with the same sheetmetal I used on the outside of the building, of course my wall gerters were 2' apart so I had no problem doing this. If you have a sawmill nearby you might look into rough sawn lumber at 3/4" thick.

/ Please advise interior barn wall cover #3  
OSB is cheaper than plywood and will work just fine,

/ Please advise interior barn wall cover #4  
What is the distance that the posts are set at?

3/4 plywood varies in price from $30 on up a sheet, depending on the finish quality of the wood. I would want the posts to be at least 4 feet apart to just use 3/4 plywood, and even then, I'd expect a fair amount of movement from it. On floors, you want no more then 2 feet when using tounge and groove.

For long term, and to do it right, install purlins on the posts every two feet. Make sure to get them long enough to overlap your seams.

Once you do this, you will be able to use just about anything you want on the walls. I like OSB. It's cheap, strong and has an interesting pattern.

Eddie

/ Please advise interior barn wall cover
Thanks for the replies, so far.

What is the distance that the posts are set at?
  • Eddie, I will measure later today (sun is not up here, yet and it is already raining--I hear you are going to get several more inches of snow than we will), but based on what I saw when I laid a piece of plywood against it, the span to the right of the ovehead door in this new picture is about 5-6 feet.
  • Regarding purlins: the contractor had said several of his customers used 1 x 4s to stiffen and provide nailers. I was wondering if that would be more, or less expensive than thicker sheets of whatever the covering is.

Thanks again, to everybody.

I forgot the picture mentioned in previous post. Here it is:

Attachments

• IMG_2074.jpg
    IMG_2074.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 249
   / Please advise interior barn wall cover #7  
Most people around here just lay up 8' studs on the vertical 2' on center and then 1/2" osb.. The studs work good for the electrical and with the studs every 2' it's good for hanging stuff from,,

/ Please advise interior barn wall cover #8  
The latest forecast is 100% for snow today. Tyler is expected to get 1 to 2 inches. From 20 to 30, it's supposed to have 2 to 4 inches and above 30 they are saying up to 8 inches of snow. I'm right along I-20 and figure to get more then Tyler. Whatever I get, I'm posting pics if it sticks!!!!!

1x4's would work up to 4 feet, but after that, they will sag on you and not offer the support of stiffness that you want for the long term. 2x4's will work up to 6 feet, and 2x6's to ten feet. Ideally, I like to buy wood that will attach to three posts and overlap my ends so there is more strenghth. Same thing with building fences.

Eddie

Eddie,

The Canadian folks may laugh at this, but I am going to wait until it warms up a little, then go take some measurements. I tend to arrive home way after dark.

Thanks.