Workbench top

/ Workbench top #1  

ace10

Silver Member
I'm seeking input on what might be my best option for topping a workbench.

I built the base about a year ago, and it's just sitting there waiting for me to get around finishing it off by putting a top on it. Dimensions were dictated by the poles, so it's 105" X 34." Legs are all 4X6. "Joists" are 2X8 and 2X6. The 2X6 on the top front is flush and will have a smallish vice mounted on the outrigger.

This is in my machine shed. It's not insulated. It's gets very hot and very cold. I'm not expecting to do any significant work on this surface. No metal work at this time. Maybe some mechanical stuff... tinkering. I have other space for woodworking, heavy repairs, etc.

I had considered a few options including 3/4" ply or maybe some cement board over ply.

If I do my storage areas correctly, I can keep this bench from becoming a large shelf.

Trying to keep costs down. I just spent a bunch of money running a new electrical service to this building.

139759729_photobucket_44934_.jpg

/ Workbench top #2  
Looks near identical to one I just built. I topped it with 'Structafloor'. Thats a brand name for the chipboard stuff thats used for flooring over here. Its cheap and strong and comes in large sheets. (up to 900 x 3600mm). Comes in about 3 thickness I think - 17,19 and 22mm. All hardware stores have it.

One thing I did thats proved very handy was to put an overhang of about 6 cm all around. I have a 4" metal vice that clamps to the bench. The overhang lets me move the vice around the bench to whatever position is best for the job. Its surprising how often I move the vice.

/ Workbench top #3  
I used a solid core door for my top. My son is in HVAC so I had him bend up a 4x8 sheet of the metal they use for duct. He put a bend on the front and a back splash on the back. I slid it over my top. I can replace it if it gets messed up very easy. It has worked great for a year so far.

/ Workbench top #4  
It's all in what you plan on doing on it. My bench is similar although 15 feet long. I have my vise, two bench grinders, drill press, jigsaw table, welding and cutting supplies, etc..
I paint on it, work on greasy parts, clean parts, assemble parts, hammer on parts, paint parts etc..

Painted half inch CDX plywood works good enough for me.

/ Workbench top #5  
What I have done is using 2x6 or 2x8 and install it so there is 1 -1/2" over-hang on at least two sides...then complete the decking with 2x and cover with with plywood...

The 1-1/2 overhang gives you a "clamping edge"...

/ Workbench top #6  
Glue 2 thicknesses of 3/4" plywood together and screw it down, then go to Lowe's or HD and get a sheet of 1/4" hardboard and screw it to the plywood. It makes a nice smooth surface to work on. After you wear out the hardboard in a couple of years, you just unscrew it and replace it. It's cheap durable and smooth.

/ Workbench top #7  
I agree that it depends on what you plan to use it for. Wood is not too good for putting a metal chop saw on (don't ask) but for about everything else it works well. I prefer 2x12, 2x10 if I can find them not too warped. Screw them to your pedestal, no nails because nails work loose. Countersink them so you can use a sander on the top when it gets pitted or even greasy to a point. I sand mine with rough grit when new to make the edges of the 2x s match up. Use an overhang as mentioned by another poster so you aren't hitting your knees on the legs of the bench. An end overhang is just right to bolt on a vise. the 2x s not only make a solid surface, they also do a great job of making the entire pedestal that much more sturdy.

/ Workbench top #8  
go 2x6 at least sow you can pound on things, if you plan on putting a bench grinder on it line it with steel so the wood will not catch on fire, remmember oil soaked wood leads to a burnt down shop. a junk yard will have old fridges out of stores that are 5 x10 feet these are excellent

/ Workbench top #9  
My workbench is 40" x 15' with the top frame made of 2"x12" plus an extra 2"x12" running long ways down the center. I have 2 layers of 3/4" plywood screwed on for the top. I used clear polyurethane to paint the top.