Slant roof pole shed

/ Slant roof pole shed #1  

Spek

I need something to park the tractor and trailer under. I figure something 20' x20' or close. Maybe enclose the sides later.

I have access to telephone poles, but not trusses. I have looked around for pole shed designs using no truss and just a slant tin roof, and can not seem to find any. Is this because it should not be done, or is my google-fu' weak? :D

I need some experience here. I have never build a pole shed, so any info on the slant roof...other options I could do myself, and specific dimensions to save lumber etc are appreciated.

/ Slant roof pole shed #2  
I need something to park the tractor and trailer under. I figure something 20' x20' or close. Maybe enclose the sides later.

I have access to telephone poles, but not trusses. I have looked around for pole shed designs using no truss and just a slant tin roof, and can not seem to find any. Is this because it should not be done, or is my google-fu' weak? :D

I need some experience here. I have never build a pole shed, so any info on the slant roof...other options I could do myself, and specific dimensions to save lumber etc are appreciated.

You can build such a shed without trusses but at a 20' span from front to rear, it will be more economical to put in a center carrying beam that runs side to side. The usual way is to put a center post in the middle of your building to carry the side-to-side support beam. With that in place, your roof joists can be 12' long boards that lap or butt over the center carrying beam.

Keep in mind, it can be cheaper to use trusses, plus you can eliminate the support pole in the middle.
Dave.

/ Slant roof pole shed #3  
Do you have a snow load you have to worry about? Center beam works fine, splits up the area with two bays...

I've used 2x6 PT span for 10'

Last edited:
   / Slant roof pole shed #4  
Without knowing the roof loading (like the previous poster mentioned), it would be hard to say for certain what you could do safely.

If you are in an area with little or no snow, you could probably use 2x10s (or maybe even 2x8s if a little sagging in future doesn't matter) as rafters. You would either have to build up girders from 2x12s on each end to support the rafters from pole to pole or use engineered griders.

The other problem would be if you wanted to enclose it, you would need 20' lumber to span pole to pole on which to affix metal or other siding.

I agree the other response that recommeded a center beam with poles supporting it on each side. You would still need some built-up 2x10 or 2x12 headers to support the rafters on the ends and middles, but then you could use 2x6 or 2x8s for your rafters and end up with a stronger building.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

/ Slant roof pole shed #5  
I just builts a 16 ft wide building like what you are interested in. I used 2 x 10 16 OC.

Have you tried googling mono slope roof?

/ Slant roof pole shed #6  
I have a 20' x 60' shed that has a sloped roof with no trusses. It is made with 4x4 posts on 10' centers on each side and a row down the center. It is open on one long side so it makes 6 bays 10' x20'. The posts on one side are longer than the other giving it an approximate 3/12 slope. Since it is in Florida I don't have to worry about the snow load. I did not build it, so I don't know about the cost versus trusses. I did did replace all of the siding and put all new roofing on it when I bought the property.

/ Slant roof pole shed
Do you have a snow load you have to worry about? Center beam works fine, splits up the area with two bays...

I've used 2x6 PT span for 10'

No snow load here in south Alabama :)

/ Slant roof pole shed #8  

Here's a 20x28 ft shed I built two years ago for my tractors and implements. The two bays are 14 x 20 ft. Roof is 10 ft in front and 9 ft high in back. Used 29 gauge R-panel siding and roofing. The 4x6 main posts are pressure treated. The beams are doubled 2x12s and 2x10s nailed and glued. Rafters are 2x8s. The rest of the frame is ordinary Douglas Fir construction 2x lumber. Painted with Behr deck enamel. Job took about 2 months working alone (I'm old and work slow).

DSCF0196 (Small).JPGDSCF0028 (Small).JPGDSCF0090 (Small).JPGDSCF0091 (Small).JPGDSCF0094 (Small).JPG

/ Slant roof pole shed #9  
I live in Alabama and have not really thought about snow load until a couple weeks ago. We had 6" of snow and then freezing rain on top of that. A buddy of mine works at the co-op and said that the snow on their 10x40 scales weighed in at 8,000 pounds. Based on that my 24x40 lean-to on the side of my barn had a snow load of 19,000 pounds.

The building has 2x8 trusses that are 24' long on 12' centers. I then ran 2x6 perlins on 2' centers between the trusses. Basically four 2x8x24's were holding up all that weigh. I do have post down the middle, so the load on the 2x8's was supported in the middle. Basically the lean-to has two long 12x40 bays. I think I'm going to put up some braces where the trusses tie into the side of the barn as soon as I get a chance though. The lean to is on a 1:12 pitch so there is no chance for the snow to slide off.

There were a bunch of chicken houses around that were on a 4:12 pitch that had collapsed roofs and broken trusses. Of course they have 2x4 or 2x6 trusses on a 40x300 building.

Chris

/ Slant roof pole shed #10  
I live in Alabama and have not really thought about snow load until a couple weeks ago. We had 6" of snow and then freezing rain on top of that. A buddy of mine works at the co-op and said that the snow on their 10x40 scales weighed in at 8,000 pounds. Based on that my 24x40 lean-to on the side of my barn had a snow load of 19,000 pounds.
That equates to about 20 psf. Not a bad number.

The building has 2x8 trusses that are 24' long on 12' centers. I then ran 2x6 perlins on 2' centers between the trusses. Basically four 2x8x24's were holding up all that weigh. I do have post down the middle, so the load on the 2x8's was supported in the middle. Basically the lean-to has two long 12x40 bays. I think I'm going to put up some braces where the trusses tie into the side of the barn as soon as I get a chance though. The lean to is on a 1:12 pitch so there is no chance for the snow to slide off.
Yes, you should probably brace that some more.

There were a bunch of chicken houses around that were on a 4:12 pitch that had collapsed roofs and broken trusses. Of course they have 2x4 or 2x6 trusses on a 40x300 building.

Chris
A 2X6 truss with a 4:12 pitch should be able to span 40' with a load of snow on the roof. A 2X4 truss should only span 28', so it is no surprise those failed if they were spanning 40'.