Thoughts On A Metal Roof On A Metal Building

/ Thoughts On A Metal Roof On A Metal Building #1  

tony Cecil

Gold Member
I wonder if anyone could help me with their thoughts on the replacement cost of a metal roof vs repair the first ten feet of the perimeter all the way around?

The building is eighteen feet tall ( maybe twenty) and eighty feet long, by sixty feet wide. The building is thirty + years old, and although you can walk on the roof (carefully) the first four to six feet is rusted out in numerous spots around just the two long sides...

I was thinking to replace the entire roof, but the cost might be too high for this year...A fallback would be to do the aforementioned repair and put the sealer type of paint on the entire roof, then replace at altar date....Thanks for any input Tony

/ Thoughts On A Metal Roof On A Metal Building #2  
I wonder if anyone could help me with their thoughts on the replacement cost of a metal roof vs repair the first ten feet of the perimeter all the way around?

The building is eighteen feet tall ( maybe twenty) and eighty feet long, by sixty feet wide. The building is thirty + years old, and although you can walk on the roof (carefully) the first four to six feet is rusted out in numerous spots around just the two long sides...

I was thinking to replace the entire roof, but the cost might be too high for this year...A fallback would be to do the aforementioned repair and put the sealer type of paint on the entire roof, then replace at altar date....Thanks for any input Tony

Do from the eves to peak completely in an 1/2 the area save the peek pieces to replacements for the lower end of the rusted out parts.

1/2 the roof completely done no leaks the tackle the other part later.

tom

/ Thoughts On A Metal Roof On A Metal Building #3  
I got quotes from two places last week for Galvalume (sp) 26g for a 12x40 (14 sheets)

Mueller Metals $315

Metal Mart $340

May or may not help you, but may give you a ball park.

Call them, they'll tell you exactly, then you can run your budget.

/ Thoughts On A Metal Roof On A Metal Building
Thank you both :) This is very helpful, and I will let you know what happens later next week Tony

/ Thoughts On A Metal Roof On A Metal Building #5  
Tony, what area do you live in?

The barn is on Edisto Island S C......I hope to know something in a couple of days...Tony

I got the bid today..Seven thousand for the removal and replacement with new metal...I think #26, maybe #24...The contractor thought four five days for him....and I think longer myself......Do you guys think I should get him (for additional cost) to apply the silver paint with fiber in it? Tony ps he said the material was around thirty five hundred..

/ Thoughts On A Metal Roof On A Metal Building #8  
The contractor thought four five days for him....and I think longer myself......Do you guys think I should get him (for additional cost) to apply the silver paint with fiber in it? Tony ps he said the material was around thirty five hundred..

Well, the old roof lasted 30 years. The new should do the same. The fiber paint might make it last even longer than that, but increases the cost 50%. Think you'll even be alive that long? I'd only do it if I wanted the cosmetics.

JayC

/ Thoughts On A Metal Roof On A Metal Building #9  
I agree with JayC,

The metal probably comes with a 20 yr warranty anyway, install wont.

The quote is probably for 26g if you didn't request a heavier gauge.

I'd think long and hard on painting the roof unless it has a direct benefit for you, you can always rent a painter like a Wagner later if you need too.

Thanks fellows----It really is a generational thing---for the grandchildren:) Man if the paint cost anything like that, they are on their own...Tony