Concrete prices per yard

/ Concrete prices per yard #21  
do not use garden rakes to move the stuff

it causes segregation also moving it alot is bad .....

small partials get displaced

if you are doing this your self and its supper hot that day and you have the option do it the next nice dry days

/ Concrete prices per yard #22  
We "placed" 3 trucks worth of concrete 3500PSI and #2 rebar on 2' center in my 1200sqft polebarn in October. For the labor and 'crete my contractor on charged $3250. I bought the rebar and sand and he provided the labor.

My neighbor two tracts over who is building a 3500 sqft concrete house (you know with the styro-foam forms that fit like puzzle-pieces) said he's used all 4 concrete companies around here. The best price was $92/yard and the highest was $130/yard. This guy is always great for "free information, no extra charge", but I learned that you have to take what he says with a grain of salt. Because it was after the lesson on concrete that he told me he was building a "concrete safe-room" inside a concrete house. WTF????

/ Concrete prices per yard #23  
..... a "concrete safe-room" inside a concrete house......

This fellow sounds like he and I may have worked some of the same neighborhoods...

Nothing like a few feet of concrete between you and "rainy" weather...

T :D

Attachments

• Terry in Basrah Apr 2008 - Crop 2.JPG
    Terry in Basrah Apr 2008 - Crop 2.JPG
    136.8 KB · Views: 173
   / Concrete prices per yard #24  
We "placed" 3 trucks worth of concrete 3500PSI and #2 rebar on 2' center in my 1200sqft polebarn in October. For the labor and 'crete my contractor on charged $3250. I bought the rebar and sand and he provided the labor.

My neighbor two tracts over who is building a 3500 sqft concrete house (you know with the styro-foam forms that fit like puzzle-pieces) said he's used all 4 concrete companies around here. The best price was $92/yard and the highest was $130/yard. This guy is always great for "free information, no extra charge", but I learned that you have to take what he says with a grain of salt. Because it was after the lesson on concrete that he told me he was building a "concrete safe-room" inside a concrete house. WTF????

That's surprising. After buying over 2500 yards of concrete at my place, the only problem I had was with the floor in my first barn where I only used the 'standard' 3500 psi concrete. Having that much concrete work done has taught me two things; 3500 psi concrete is a joke as is the laughable 'kitty hair' fiberglass crap they try to talk you into using. I've seen absolutely zero difference in the "fiberglass reinforced" concrete and standard concrete except what it cost me.

The only concrete I have that is 4" is sidewalks. I used that crappy rolled wire in it. Everything else is at least 6" or more and had 1/4" wire mesh in it along with rebar and is 4500 psi. Over the years I can tell a big difference. If a concrete contractor told me that I only need 4" of 3500 psi with fiberglass in any area where I'd park anything heavier than a lawn mower, I'd fire him on the spot. It's not fun doing concrete work the 2nd time! Doing it right with a good mix and at least 1/4" wire matting costs just over $100 per sq. yd. when buying over 500 yards at a time.

/ Concrete prices per yard #25  
Is it just me, Do you like to see a vibrator thrown in to set the mix and remove bubbles from said product.? They always did it on columns and big forms?I now almost consider it necessary...

/ Concrete prices per yard #26  
I had 4000 psi with mesh in it poured last spring and it was about $115 per yard.

Chris

/ Concrete prices per yard #27  
Is it just me, Do you like to see a vibrator thrown in to set the mix and remove bubbles from said product.? They always did it on columns and big forms?I now almost consider it necessary...

I bought my own from Horrible Freight and vibrated away on all pours along with the crew. I can't tell you for sure if it helped, but it sure makes your hands numb for a day or so.

/ Concrete prices per yard #28  
Not an expert, but a novice using a vibrator is not a good idea. Vibrate it too much and it will not set up properly. I know enough to say wear good rubber gloves and boots. Cement eats leather.

/ Concrete prices per yard #29  
I was told awhile back...the proper terminology is "lay" concrete...not pour. When, talking to pro's..they seem to have more respect..or look at you like you know what your doing if you use the proper terminology:confused3:

I ain't out to impress nobody. Pour(gary says place) is something you do to concrete, lay is...........well you get the picture. Seriously, I find that if you don't act like you know it all, you gets more help. Just my observation. I poured pad for my boiler last october and paid $100 yard, but they gave me little over 1 1/4. And truck driver helped me screed it. Side note: We lay pipe around here, I guess place would work-pour definitely not, bury pipe would work........ argument goes on and on.. I guess I'll stick with sayin and doin as I please.....LOL!!!

/ Concrete prices per yard #30  
Vibrate it too much and it will not set up properly.

Sorry, please explain with references. I'm no "professional", but I've been involved with over 2500 yards at my home as I mentioned as well as 10,000 yards or so working other jobs. In 20 years I've never heard anyone say what you said. I'd like to see clear and quantitative information to back up what you claim.