Soffit Installation Advice/Tips

/ Soffit Installation Advice/Tips #1  

Kyle241

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
So my garage has been closed in for a while but I never started the soffitting and there is a reason for it. I hate soffit installation and have done it twice before with mediocre results. My garage is 24wx32l with a 12/12 pitch, galvalume roofing. Does anyone have advice on tools, websites, etc. that may make the process a little easier? No fascia has been installed of course.

Did I say I hate soffit installation?

Tks.

/ Soffit Installation Advice/Tips #2  
I have done a few soffits on some buildings, no special tools other than a radial arm saw with a plywood blade put on backwards to cut the vented material.

/ Soffit Installation Advice/Tips #3  
What look do you want? Rustic, modern, classic, unfinished no wait a minute you said that is what you presently have.

Craig Clayton

/ Soffit Installation Advice/Tips #4  
We installed the soffit on my pole barn the same way Jimmy Joe mentioned...we did measure evrey few cuts, as the measurement increased or decresed a 1/4" or so.

Will

/ Soffit Installation Advice/Tips #5  
So my garage has been closed in for a while but I never started the soffitting and there is a reason for it. I hate soffit installation and have done it twice before with mediocre results. My garage is 24wx32l with a 12/12 pitch, galvalume roofing. Does anyone have advice on tools, websites, etc. that may make the process a little easier? No fascia has been installed of course.

Did I say I hate soffit installation?

Tks.

I followed the instructions from this link. I highly recommend you build the cutting table. It makes the job much easier.

How to Install Aluminum Soffits That are Maintenance-Free | The Family Handyman

/ Soffit Installation Advice/Tips #6  
The handiest tool for soffit work is a narrow guage staple gun for the J's as well as each and every soffit strip as that way nothing comes loose and the facia is real easy to add after as all the soffit strips are nice and snug not to mention that the wind won't rattle the soffit.
In a pinch even a hand stapler is a friend but the nose is not deep enough to snug up the staples.
I also like a jig and skill saw setup but snips and box knife scoring works well also for cutting. Simply score the soffit with box blade and fold to snap the cut.
I have done many cuts with sharp long snips as well but wear gloves as blisters soon develop.
2 man operation is best, one up and installing and the 2nd cuts and supplies the lengths as generally you find 1/4" to maybe 1" variations as you go along.
When I do it solo I simply carry the snips with me and adjust as I go along.
Cordless drill driver and pocket of screws works OK also but gets tiresome screwing at arms length.
When adding your facia, always snug up the center first temporarily B4 attaching permanantly as that way you'll prevent waves.
Have fun, good luck!

/ Soffit Installation Advice/Tips
Thanks everyone, these will definitely help. I guess I'll get on it in the coming weeks as spring it not too far away and there are a ton of other projects to be done.

/ Soffit Installation Advice/Tips #8  
I have done a few soffits on some buildings, no special tools other than a radial arm saw with a plywood blade put on backwards to cut the vented material.

Found out years ago, there's no point to turning a saw blade backwards to cut metal. Cuts better forward. WARNING-You may need more Protection! :confused2: