Post Frame building Recommendation

/ Post Frame building Recommendation #1  

scoutcub

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar LX4900//Cub 7532//Cub Yanmar SC2400//Komatsu D38//Cub Volunteer//Cub SZ60/CAT 289C/CAT 308
Went to Menard's a few weeks ago looking for electrical.....before I left thought I'd check out the "building dept", on a tip someone had given me about good prices on pole buildings.

At first I found a very user-friendly "design-it center", basically a arcade style computer that you plug in all your sizes/options and it spits out a image/materials list/price. Very impressive program.
Then caught the attention of a sales rep and told him I'm planning on building a pole bldg this summer/fall, and he called over the guy that's been doing it for 25 years....talk about knowing your stuff. This guy started asking size/location/materials, etc. and quickly found out what I was looking for, mentioned what type of trusses, I replied just built a garage with attic trusses and he informed me it would nearly double the cost of the trusses with this span.....and proceeded to give me several other tips. And he knows crews that can erect it.
I asked if my military discount would apply, and was disappointed to hear menard's had just discontinued the program....but they would give me the 10% off anyways!
They also gave me very helpful book for constructing a post frame bldg, this has it ALL, every step from squaring the building posts to installing cupolas.....with detailed descriptions and diagrams.

Bottom line - Menard's is worth checking out if you're in the nmarket for a pole bldg. I'm quite certain I'll use them, and perhaps will feel more comfortable doing more of the work myself. Prices seem very reasonable as well, and seems like they will even deal with the prices.

Unfortunately Menards is limited to upper midwest, from Wyoming to Ohio.

Worth checking out!

/ Post Frame building Recommendation #2  
Yep, menards is my "go-to" store. All the advantages of the big box stores like selection, hours of business, etc. And usually better prices as well. But when taking on a project like a building or deck, I like the outdoor lumbar yard. Nothing more I HATE about a Lowes/HD than haveing to cart material outside. I perfer to only handle it once, not twice.

And make sure you check out the lowes/HD as well. Sometimes they are a little cheaper on certain things, but menards price matches.

And if you do decide to go to a lowes for anything, MAKE SURE their is a HD or menards in the same town. Otherwise they will price gouge you on EVERYTING.

Little story, last year a buddy was heading to lowes in Mt vernon to get ~30 bags of blown in. He called me on his way to see if I could help him later that day. I told him to hang on a sec while I pulled up prices. Mt.Vernon was $9.58a bag. Marion Lowes (marion has a menards as well) was $5.89 a bag:confused2: And the kicker is...Mt Vernon wouldnt price match their other stores. Even the columbus and Mansfield Lowes were $5.89. But because Mt. Vernon Doesnt' have a menards or HD, they jack the prices up:mad:

I found this out 2 years ago when I was buying a bunch of 7/16 OSB for the pole barn. Menards and Lowes in marion were both 4.76/sheet. Well, I was a few sheets short and was already in mt. vernon and they were 6.97 a sheet:mad:

Sorry for the long windedness, but I guess this is just kinda a heads up for the central ohio guys. If you normall go to lowes Mt Vernon, it is at least worth the time to check your next nearest lowes

/ Post Frame building Recommendation #3  
I forgot to ask, Where exactally in ohio do you live???

/ Post Frame building Recommendation
Great tip on the price gouging - unbelievable! I've always liked HD more (between Lowe's and HD), but where I live now Lowe's is closer. I've found one store will have a better selection of one thing, another store better on something else. HD blows Lowe's away for electrical/lighting. Sure glad I went to Menards, they have nearly everything!

I live in Dover, just south of Canton. Lowe's in New Philadelphia, HD in Canton, and Menards in Massillon.