Kit Homes...good or bad idea

/ Kit Homes...good or bad idea #1  

Dano97471

Tractor
Kubota B2920
Anyone have experience building a house with factory-constructed panels/kit homes? We are tossing around the idea as opposed to just adding onto our existing home. Any input would be much appreciated.

/ Kit Homes...good or bad idea #2  
The first house we built was in 1980. A Linwood cedar prefab. Nice house but in hindsight paid a fair amount for it. One down side was they send 2 X 4 wall panels when we had ordered 2 X 6 inch. Sales guy tried to talk us into putting Styrofoam on the outside of the 2 X 4 to give the insulation value of the 2 X 6 wall. Made them send us the right 2 X 6 walls. Our neighbors built a kit house a couple of years ago. By the time they added the foundation, cabinets, plumbing, electrical etc, they feel they came out on the short side of the money. I think kits or prefabs can work for people but you should do ALL your homework, get in writing what's included and what is not, material and labour.
The house we live in now we had a local contractor build for us. Well built and we are very happy with it. See pic below.
Good luck with your decision. :)

Attachments

• House2Feb10 004.jpg
    House2Feb10 004.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 1,530
   / Kit Homes...good or bad idea #3  
I looked into it but I ran into problems borrowing from the bank. The companies I talked with wanted money upfront while the bank would only dish out construction loan money once the materials showed up on the job. I did find a company on the west coast that dealt with cedar built houses that looked real nice. I think to make the kits pay you need to be able to do all the work yourself, even then if you pay full retail for everything the kit doesn't include it may not pay.

/ Kit Homes...good or bad idea #4  
I recall back in the 70's listening to the carpenter I was working with curse the Viceroy we were putting together. He custom designed and built homes but was talked into doing this one, never again. Anyway I would seriously look at one of the new Foam core panel prefabs. We were building homes with double 2x4 walls back in the late 70's. When I do my retirement home in a few years I am planning on double wall, probably 2x6 outer foam sprayed and then a 2x4 inner wall fibre glass insulated. I plan to spend my retirement income on tractors, not heat:)

/ Kit Homes...good or bad idea
Thanks guys for your input. The Company we contacted for the panels quoted us $40,000 delivered, for our design (2000 sqf). Basically what they provide is the framing in 6' numbered panels, trusses and exterior sheathing. I would need to provide everything else plus labor.

It seams to me that I could get all the framing, trusses and sheathing done for a lot less money by hiring a local framer. Could I be wrong...is $40,000 a good price?

/ Kit Homes...good or bad idea #6  
Thanks guys for your input. The Company we contacted for the panels quoted us $40,000 delivered, for our design (2000 sqf). Basically what they provide is the framing in 6' numbered panels, trusses and exterior sheathing. I would need to provide everything else plus labor.

It seams to me that I could get all the framing, trusses and sheathing done for a lot less money by hiring a local framer. Could I be wrong...is $40,000 a good price?

When I built my 2100sq. ft ranch in 97, had & $40k in building material, 15k-windows, 17k foundation, etc. Doesn't sound way off. Are these foam sandwich style or just std, framed panels?

/ Kit Homes...good or bad idea #7  
We too checked into that option just a few years ago when we were looking to build. The problem that we ran into was that we couldn't find a contractor that would work with us on the project. We even managd to tour a recently completed spec home that was the same model of the one we were considering. We loved look of the house. But a few things really stood out in the design that we couldn't have lived with. The kit was provided by a very large lumber company named after a number (between eighty three and eight five) They did a good job on planning out the house. One of my close friends built a home outside of Pittsburgh from a kit made by the same company. He was the only person I have ever encountered who hadn't considered killing himself or the contractor during the home building process. The only advice I can give is to A. Do everythign you can to tour a completed house that is of the same design you are consiering building. There are far too many layout issues that can't be visualized from prints. B Go with a company and builder with an excellent reputation and references.

/ Kit Homes...good or bad idea
tulenutn2o...These are just outer sheathed framed panels with all the windows and doors framed in.

What we like about this company is that they will construct the panels to our design and floor plan.

We are also looking at a "Build on your land" builder. They will build a 2100 sf complete home, foundation included for $94,000. We provide the permits, site work, septic, water & power to the site and cleanup.

We would like to build a new home on the property (10 acres), but not sure if that's practical. We may just end up adding about 1000 sf to our small existing home that was built in 1917. We are at the stage of trying to figure out what is the best way to go.

/ Kit Homes...good or bad idea #9  
tulenutn2o...These are just outer sheathed framed panels with all the windows and doors framed in.

What we like about this company is that they will construct the panels to our design and floor plan.

We are also looking at a "Build on your land" builder. They will build a 2100 sf complete home, foundation included for $94,000. We provide the permits, site work, septic, water & power to the site and cleanup.

We would like to build a new home on the property (10 acres), but not sure if that's practical. We may just end up adding about 1000 sf to our small existing home that was built in 1917. We are at the stage of trying to figure out what is the best way to go.

Up our way it costs about $100.00 and up per sq ft to build a standard house. This is complete with foundation, flooring, lighting fixtures, and cabinets. That's about $210,000. to build 2100 sq ft. Mind you we live in an expensive part of the world with high labor costs, most licensed trades people get in the area of $30.00 per hour :confused: , plus or minus. So $94,000. for a completely finished house of 2100 sq ft sounds like a real bargain if it was in our area. :):)

Last edited:
   / Kit Homes...good or bad idea #10  
I'd check insurance rates before making a final decision. In some areas, kit homes in the eyes of insurance companies, are similar to mobile homes and you may not like the annual premium.