buried post treatment,questions

/ buried post treatment,questions #1  

hizoot

Gold Member
Tractor
jd 2520
Years ago, I had a pole barn built where the contractor did a little something that I thought was pretty neat.... He dug a 4ft hole for the post as usual, then he drilled a 1" hole near the bottom of the post and stuck a heavy rebar thru to help capture the pole in the cement ....by making a sort of inverted tee. He then double coated about the bottom 5 ft. of the post that would be in ground contact(encapsulated in the concrete) with fiberglass resin.... to ward off rot. Was this a good idea or wasted time? I know that posts will last longer direct buried vs surrounded by concrete...but will the fiberglass resin stave off the damaging/rotting effects of the concrete?

/ buried post treatment,questions #2  
I wouldn't do it for the same reason you don't set them in concrete, if they get wet they will be slow to dry. Resin by itself is very brittle and will break or crack easily, the real strength comes from the glass fiber and multiple layers.

/ buried post treatment,questions #4  
I coated the post with tar. that was 20 years ago. Tom

/ buried post treatment,questions #5  
When the floor was poured in our pole barn I had all the posts drilled for rebar and we stuck the rebar through the posts and poured the floor over it.

/ buried post treatment,questions #6  
I think it is a great question you ask and one that you will not find a definitive answer to. It is highly debated how wood posts should be set in the ground for longevity. Some believe setting in concrete with a crowned top above grade is the way to go. Others feel like that traps moisture and you should set a post on a concrete donut and backfill with compacted well draining material. Then there are the variations of the two systems. It sounds as if your contractor had his idea of the best variation and was willing to do that extra step. Scotty showed one of the commercially available alternatives. There are numbers of commercial products, coatings and home brews used on posts. We also have to acknowledge the group that says never put wood in the ground and mount the posts on a footings. How to properly do that should be another tread.

I think much of it has to do with where you are geographically and what has historically proven to work in your local. In my area there are so many examples of pole barns that do not show rot after decades of poles stuck in dirt that is what I do. May be altogether different for your area.

MarkV

/ buried post treatment,questions #7  
Depending on the amount and size of the post, I'll spray what will be in the ground w/auto undercoating. Never had a post go bad yet.

/ buried post treatment,questions #8  
On the never ending Iron Hill Shed Project, my poles are all in 36" holes or deepr (except the one I hit rock at 33" (close enough!). All are coated heavy with tar/block sealer stuff from Lowes. I feel in 30 years or so when the the poles begin to rot someone else can worry about it for the next 10 years. I guess I'll be close to pushing up daisies by then.

At 13-14 my dad and family (and of course a useful me) built my brother a 30X60 pole barn. 30 years later when he moved/rebuilt the barn every treated post in concrete rotted at ground level all the way through! Those just in dirt were in great shape. So, BO-DADDY knew what I was gonna do.

/ buried post treatment,questions #9  
It's kind of a strange dichotomy! The Sono-Tube, with L-Brackets while keeping the wood (rot) out of the ground, also cuts your verticle stability! Then you've got the Guys that don't have to worry about the wind..(We're not in Kansas anymore..), And are more concerned with 'snow-load' and rot. I really don't think there is one 'One size fits all' stock answer! Just 2 cents, and I'll waive it to TBN Members.......~Scotty

(Like I alway tell my friends...Everyone's got a right to MY opinion:laughing:)

/ buried post treatment,questions #10  
It's kind of a strange dichotomy! The Sono-Tube, with L-Brackets while keeping the wood (rot) out of the ground, also cuts your verticle stability! Then you've got the Guys that don't have to worry about the wind..(We're not in Kansas anymore..), And are more concerned with 'snow-load' and rot. I really don't think there is one 'One size fits all' stock answer! Just 2 cents, and I'll waive it to TBN Members.......~Scotty

+1 :thumbsup:

MarkV