TREES in my lifetime

/ TREES in my lifetime #11  
I have 4 apple trees, 4 plum trees and 2 peach trees. All of the trees had fruit on them last summer and the deer took every bit of it before I had a chance to pick it.

Two of my apple trees were in their second year since planting and were bearing fruit. They were about 5 feet high when I planted them, so I guess they were about 4 years old or so.

The other two apple trees are mature, maybe 12 feet high, and the deer stood on their hind legs to reach the topmost fruit.

The previous comment about them destroying trees is spot on. I've seen them completely destroy small trees around here just for the fun of it. I have to put wire cages around all my small trees to keep them away. They will reach over the top of the cages, so I also have to put chicken wire across the tops of the cages.

I've never tried it (mostly because I want to GET RID of the deer rather than attract them...), but I've heard they like salt blocks.

I wish I could shoot every one of them, they're a menace.

/ TREES in my lifetime #12  
How long does it take an apple or pear or persimmon to bear fruit ? Do deer eat PEACHES? :D I sure do...
I guess if you staked them with chicken wire it might save them for a couple of years.......????:confused: I'm tired of azalea's and the like.... how about mtn. Laurel or rhododendron, do they ATTRACT deer? or just feed them when their starving? I do intend to plant some brassica and oats

Rhododendron is poison. Fruit trees are candy - they will have to be protected for years until the canopy is higher than a mama deer standing on her hind legs. We have to use serious mesh, or the Elk just walk it down.
Mf

/ TREES in my lifetime #13  
Your best bet if you just want to attract deer is an open grazing area with good year round grazing and some winter grass or early spring types. Some of the garden greens type, like cale, mustard and collards would likely work in the fall / winter. Winter oats work good in my part of the country. Since you already have the trees for cover, they will come to an open pasture like grassy area quicker than a fruit tree that only bears fruit for a couple months.

/ TREES in my lifetime #14  
In the cleared areas you can plant no till clover, it will bring them in. If you do want to plant trees You will need to do one of two things, fence or tube them. I would tube them since the tubes also protect them against voles, voles will eat the roots and cause more tree death in plantings like that then the deer will.
I would go with pin oaks, very nice tree, you may also want to do some hazelnut bushes, used by a wide varity of wildlife. Going the fruit way go with something that doesnt need to be pruned all the time to give fruit.

/ TREES in my lifetime #15  
salt blocks = bad for dear. and for Illinois you can get a fine. and to a point were you need to show salt blocks are for live stock and not for deer, at some local feed stores.

salt blocks, mess up there internals or something.

================
as for fruit trees. ya they are nice, but after a couple years of picking / canning / etc... it gets old quick. and generally see fruits just lay to rot, which bring insects more so bees and ants.

it is easier to go to local farmer market, to get fresh fruit and stuff for yourself and not for the deer

================
with others go with some sort of grasses / clover / etc....

/ TREES in my lifetime
Thanks guys, with this GOOD advice, I think I like the "market" for MY fruit and planting clover and greens for the deer. I'm too old and busy to prune and if they ate up the trees that were intended to feed them with fruit it would just pith me off enough to shoot them. Thanks again:thumbsup:

/ TREES in my lifetime #17  
Good decision. Food plots are easy to deal and allot easier to change up to different plantings if you like.

BUT, 1st thing I'd do is plant whatever the boss lady wants, then go play hunter. I have found that when the wife is happy, I can hunt longer!