TREES in my lifetime

/ TREES in my lifetime #1  

Boeing

Platinum Member
Tractor
kubota L3010
Guys, I bought some forested acreage last year and am just getting time off to go back up to see it. I had a road pushed thru the forest and about 1 acre cleared at the bottom and 1 acre cleared at the top of the hill for future home site. There are a 2 or 3 "bus stop" size clear areas along the new road. I like to see and attract deer, turkey (well ok, I might even EAT one a year) Can you recommend some TREES that I could plant, apple, pear, persimmon, that the wildlife might like and that I might actually see before I go to a nursing home? :laughing: (I'm 62 years young)
Am I better off just planting "plots" to attract the wildlife? My wife wants redbud's, cherry trees and daffodils.

/ TREES in my lifetime #3  
If there's already a good bit of timber on the property, figure out what's there for species. I'd say you'd have better luck attracting critters using those already open areas as a food plot by planting any of the blended seed products, or simply some wheat, or sorghum, or clover or....

/ TREES in my lifetime #4  
When I built my home it was on 10 acres of plowed bare dirt from fence to fence. I planted everything the ag office had at 10 cents per tree. From your posting it appears you already have standing trees so I would suggest that you let nature select the best types of trees for your property. I have found that a tree grown from a natural seed is slower to get started but passes the artifically planted tree within a few years.

Craig Clayton

/ TREES in my lifetime #5  
The walnuts, butternuts and cherry seem to be the favorites with our critters. We had oriole in the cherry last year. First time I have seen one since I was a kid. The oriole, she's a pretty bird.

/ TREES in my lifetime #6  
Deer won't leave my apple trees alone. Also, my neighbor has a couple of full-sized pear trees that drop a lot of fruit that the deer just LOVE.

Attachments

• wildlife 015.jpg
    wildlife 015.jpg
    660.9 KB · Views: 214
   / TREES in my lifetime #7  
If you plant fruit trees you will have to protect them from the deer or they will rip those tender buds and branches off:(:(. Munch Munch Munch Also when it's time to rub the felt off their antlers they love tender slender trees to rub on:mad::mad:Killed several of my ornamental trees including the one right out the picture window:mad: took all the bark off about 3' of trunk.

/ TREES in my lifetime
How long does it take an apple or pear or persimmon to bear fruit ? Do deer eat PEACHES? :D I sure do...
I guess if you staked them with chicken wire it might save them for a couple of years.......????:confused: I'm tired of azalea's and the like.... how about mtn. Laurel or rhododendron, do they ATTRACT deer? or just feed them when their starving? I do intend to plant some brassica and oats

/ TREES in my lifetime #9  
if you already have some good sized trees, I would opt for food plots of grains clovers ect. that way there is a more varied diet and better for them. Threes take a long time even to bare fruit is longer than you might like & if you are way form the property the deer will destroy them nothing flat.

mark

/ TREES in my lifetime #10  
apple trees is your best bet. plant what you would eat and they will help you. :laughing:

slat blocks is like candy to them too.. ;)