Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    kubota L3010

Default TREES in my lifetime

Guys, I bought some forested acreage last year and am just getting time off to go back up to see it. I had a road pushed thru the forest and about 1 acre cleared at the bottom and 1 acre cleared at the top of the hill for future home site. There are a 2 or 3 "bus stop" size clear areas along the new road. I like to see and attract deer, turkey (well ok, I might even EAT one a year) Can you recommend some TREES that I could plant, apple, pear, persimmon, that the wildlife might like and that I might actually see before I go to a nursing home? (I'm 62 years young)
    Am I better off just planting "plots" to attract the wildlife? My wife wants redbud's, cherry trees and daffodils.

Tractor
    NH TN 55, Kubota B2320 & RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw 61" ZTR

Default Re: TREES in my lifetime

I have a friend who has planted sawtooth oaks for wildlife habitat-- they are relatively fast growing and produce acorns earlier than other oaks.

Ohio Trees - Sawtooth Oak

However, they have their detractors.

Quercus acutissima - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Steve

Silver Member

If there's already a good bit of timber on the property, figure out what's there for species. I'd say you'd have better luck attracting critters using those already open areas as a food plot by planting any of the blended seed products, or simply some wheat, or sorghum, or clover or....

Tractor
    L2250 Kubota

When I built my home it was on 10 acres of plowed bare dirt from fence to fence. I planted everything the ag office had at 10 cents per tree. From your posting it appears you already have standing trees so I would suggest that you let nature select the best types of trees for your property. I have found that a tree grown from a natural seed is slower to get started but passes the artifically planted tree within a few years.

Craig Clayton

Tractor
    Kubotas: L3240GST B2320HST B5100D & G5200H

The walnuts, butternuts and cherry seem to be the favorites with our critters. We had oriole in the cherry last year. First time I have seen one since I was a kid. The oriole, she's a pretty bird.
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

Tractor
    John Deere 2520, 1989 John Deere 185, 1960 Panzer T70B

Deer won't leave my apple trees alone. Also, my neighbor has a couple of full-sized pear trees that drop a lot of fruit that the deer just LOVE.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -wildlife-015-jpg  
    Runner

Silver Member
    Tractor
    BCS735/720 Ford1200

If you plant fruit trees you will have to protect them from the deer or they will rip those tender buds and branches off. Munch Munch Munch Also when it's time to rub the felt off their antlers they love tender slender trees to rub onKilled several of my ornamental trees including the one right out the picture window took all the bark off about 3' of trunk.

Tractor
    kubota L3010

How long does it take an apple or pear or persimmon to bear fruit ? Do deer eat PEACHES? I sure do...
    I guess if you staked them with chicken wire it might save them for a couple of years.......???? I'm tired of azalea's and the like.... how about mtn. Laurel or rhododendron, do they ATTRACT deer? or just feed them when their starving? I do intend to plant some brassica and oats

Tractor
    Jinma 284

if you already have some good sized trees, I would opt for food plots of grains clovers ect. that way there is a more varied diet and better for them. Threes take a long time even to bare fruit is longer than you might like & if you are way form the property the deer will destroy them nothing flat.

mark
    I may remember why I went to the other end of the shop, I'm just afraid once I get there I'll forget how to get back!

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

apple trees is your best bet. plant what you would eat and they will help you.

slat blocks is like candy to them too..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast