Well house roof design help

/ Well house roof design help #1  

markrahn

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L3400
I built the 4 walls of the well house. 10' x 12' right now it is sitting on bare dirt. My plan is to level it on the 3" solid concrete blocks, about 3 on the 10' side and 4 on the 12' side. Form around the perimeter with 2x4, hang anchor bolts and pour inside floor with leftover concrete when they pour the slab of the house.
But onto the roof. I was thinking of a roof, gabled, that had one side of it removable for pump service. I was thinking a few lag bolts to hold it on. My friend suggested to build the roof as a whole and then make the whole thing removable. That would take care of the peak getting sealed.

Anyone ever made anything like this before? Any ideas, suggesstions?
right now it is a topless:D pump house.

Why did I build the 4 walls with no set plan for the roof? I needed to keep the wind off the well expansion tank cause it was freezing and thats how I roll sometimes:( you know - cart before the horse. ) I did plan the roof, just now thinking there may be a better, smarter way.

thanks yall

/ Well house roof design help #2  
Here's the plan for my well pump house: 8'L x 6'W, walls 4'H with roof on top of that. 12-12 (aka 45 degree) slope). The face you see is the 6'W end. The door opening is only about 5.5'H, but hey, it's a well pump house.

attachment.php

Attachments

• well_pump_house.jpg
    well_pump_house.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 22,203
   / Well house roof design help #3  
I'd be concerned about sealing the peak of a hinged roof.

10' X 12' is a big roof to remove whole, but if someone is going through the roof for pump service, they likely have some kind of boom they're using anyway. If you do make the roof removeable, plan that into the structure. Add some extra diagonals and framing to keep the roof rigid after it's removed.

/ Well house roof design help #4  
I thought about hinging mine at one of the lower edges, & also thought about making it removable. In the end, I just screwed it all down tight, decided it wasn't worth messing with, & if I must remove the roof, it's all un-screwable.

Even on this "little" 8'Lx6'W well pump house, that roof would be a big thing to move, whether lifting off or even just tilting on hinges.

(The pic I posted is of my new well; my current well pump house is hinged, but I can't walk into right it like this new one)

/ Well house roof design help #5  
My solution to the well shed roof access was to add a curbed skylight. I picked it up at one of the super hardware stores for well under $100. Of course, this works best when planned so your well and skylight aren't located at the ridge of your roof. It's easy to back off a few screws and lift the lightweight skylight off without compromising any watertightness.

/ Well house roof design help #6  
If you put on a metal roof, you could put the seam of the 2 roof halves under the middle of one of the metal sheets, so you only have to remove 2 sheets of metal.

That would still leave you allot of roof to lift off, that is a big pump house.

/ Well house roof design help #7  
If you put on a metal roof, you could put the seam of the 2 roof halves under the middle of one of the metal sheets, so you only have to remove 2 sheets of metal.

That would still leave you allot of roof to lift off, that is a big pump house.

That is a definitely a big pump house!

/ Well house roof design help #8  
Why do you have to remove the roof for service?

Submersible poly pipe an a good door and window to feed the pipe out.

If you have to have the well redrilled the whole place would be in the way.

A farmer that I know had done the same thing and had to tear the whole place down to get the drill rig on top of the hole to drill his well deeper.
he had a shallow well jet pump and tank in there originally.

He went with a submersible and a tank in the basement no well house after that.

tom

/ Well house roof design help #9  
you could always use lags with a big eye in them. Fasten this to the lower edge of the inside of the roof members and fasten another set on the inside top of the walls so that they align. Then get yourself a piece of pipe or bar that could slide into all of the eyes. would work well and keep it roughly sealed especially if you brought the edge of the roof a little lower than the top of the wall. does that make sense? i could draw it up later. Would be a cheap way to do what you are looking for provided the roof wasn't too big and heavy!

/ Well house roof design help #10  
To avoid a well house altogether, ask your driller if it's too late to change to a pitless adapter and put the pressure tank in the garage.