Need Ideas

/ Need Ideas #1  

B7510HSD

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota B2601
I have a short 80' roughly long driveway I need to do something with..it is for the most part grass at one point it did have some gravel under it ,it appears....now with the wet weather this winter it has a few really bad mud ruts..the soil is for the most part sandy here at the beach...My plan is to get my tractor down here and remove the sod and possibly lay railroad timber along the edge to hold the gravel...Any other suggestions looking for low dollar fixes not wanting to asphalt or pave at this time..

/ Need Ideas #3  
I like the idea of the Grassy Pavers......looks good and it is something Worth considering for a long term solution. Doing it once, the right way always makes sense.

/ Need Ideas
Those are very interesting I am going to get a price I like the idea of leaving it grass but not the mud!! :thumbsup:

/ Need Ideas #5  
Are the Grassy Pavers designed for vehicle traffic? I've seen concrete designed to allow water through. Similar design , but structurally stronger.

I think the RR ties would help keep the gravel to the inside, but if your sandy like we are, they won't stop the gravel from sinking into the sand over time.

A large rock base with gravel on top works good.

/ Need Ideas
Are the Grassy Pavers designed for vehicle traffic? I've seen concrete designed to allow water through. Similar design , but structurally stronger.

I think the RR ties would help keep the gravel to the inside, but if your sandy like we are, they won't stop the gravel from sinking into the sand over time.

A large rock base with gravel on top works good.

Thats what I fugured I would do!!

/ Need Ideas #7  
I think your best bet would be 10-20 tons on #1 limestone. 'Round here that's gonna be $350 or so.

/ Need Ideas #8  
I live in central coast of CA, down here the common thing is decomposed granite. Not sure of price of DG itself, but I have 6" (compacted) of on my driveway and, in my opinion, it's better than gravel or hard paving. It lets the rain get through, easy to repair should a hole or rut develop, very durable and once compacted, when damp, it's like walking on concrete.

If you ride a motorcycle, you can flip the kickstand out on compacted DG, try that on gravel. I've had fully loaded dirt dump trucks, and fully loaded cement trucks drive over it (when dry) and not even leave tracks, where the DG is 6" thick. Thinner drives and cement trucks will leave grooves, if the soil under is soft.

/ Need Ideas #9  
Unless you want to lay gravel on the ground before installing the RR ties, save your time and money. I used good creosoted ties to surround my raised bed garden, within two years they had started to rot. If you note, the RR lays the ties on a lot of gravel that allows the water to drain past the tie. I would strongly suggest you use stone pavers or something similar.

/ Need Ideas #10  
Gravel will eventually get pushed down into the mud when mud is an issue, you may way to lay road cloth down first. It lets moisrure through but keeps the gravel from sinking. Last time I priced it out it was about 1200 bucks for a 20 wide by 300 foot roll. You may be able to buy a part roll from a road contractor.

It does make your roads last longer.