Cheapest way to try my hand at making hay?

/ Cheapest way to try my hand at making hay? #1  

beppington

Elite Member
Tractor
Here
I'd like to try my hand at making hay. I have a tractor, & a rotary cutter :), but am curious how cheaply I could give it a try?

What would I need? I'd prefer the square (rectangular) bales vs the big, round jelly-rolls.

Is this a situation where the "cost-to-enter-the-market" is so astronomical you'd never "just give it a try"?

/ Cheapest way to try my hand at making hay? #2  
Never made hay myself, but the rotary cutter is a no-go. It will shred the hay, what you want is to cut it down. Sickle bar or disc mower is the most common.

/ Cheapest way to try my hand at making hay? #3  
If you go to local farm auctions you can pick up needed equipment at low cost. You could use the rotary cutter if you REALLY wanted to, but I would advise against it. It just won’t work well for a few reasons. Sickle bar mowers go cheap since no one wants to use them anymore, but they don’t show up at many auctions. The consignment auction I went to this weekend had a lot of haybines go for under $500, but they needed a lot of work. If you spend time looking you can find a workable rake and square baler for under $1k each. Some times much less, but not always. I’ve seen great deals on Craigslist, but you have to jump on them. In the end, many folks still think it makes more sense to just buy hay, but sometimes it depends on what sort of hay you’re wanting.

/ Cheapest way to try my hand at making hay? #4  
I'd like to try my hand at making hay. I have a tractor, & a rotary cutter :), but am curious how cheaply I could give it a try?

What would I need? I'd prefer the square (rectangular) bales vs the big, round jelly-rolls.

Is this a situation where the "cost-to-enter-the-market" is so astronomical you'd never "just give it a try"?

Good sickle mower $895 + Good used 4 wheel hay rake $695 + Good used NH #68 square baler $1500 + 1.85 per loaded mile from 42722, Ky. Ken Sweet

/ Cheapest way to try my hand at making hay? #5  
Cheapest hay!:D

snath, sickle blade, rake, pitchfork and hay wagon

Last edited:
   / Cheapest way to try my hand at making hay? #6  

A rotary cutter (i.e. brush hog) is not the best hay mower. A sicklebar, disc mower or drum mower is much better. The rotary cutter will chop the hay and fling it around instead of cutting it cleanly and allowing it to drop onto the stubble. It's important that the hay lay on the stubble, not on the ground, so it dries quickly.

I have 10 acres, 6 of which I plan oats (plant in Nov, harvest the following May). Here's a list of my equipment:

Tractor--2008 Mahindra 5525 (54 hp engine, 45 hp pto, 2WD, gear tranny), FEL with 6-ft bucket. Cost new: $19K. The photo shows the 5525 pulling a 10-ft wide grain drill--an old Minneapolis Moline P3-6 drill. Cost: $275 for two units. Used parts from both drills to make one good one. Drilling seed generally is preferred to broadcast seeding because of the better germination (90% for drilling, 60% for broadcast). You can improve broadcast seeding germination somewhat by using a cultipacker to press the seed into the soil.

DSCF0159 (Small).JPG

Probably the best seeders are Brillion and Landpride seeders which are drop seeders with dual cultipackers.

Offset disc- pull type 6-1/2 ft for primary tilling. Cost: free (gift from a neighbor). I had to replace a few pans (the discs) and lube it. I built a simple drag out of old tires or a hunk of chain link fence with concrete weights to bust up the clods.

DSCF0112 (Small).JPG

If you're doing annuals like oats, beardless wheat, etc. you don't need to work the soil deep with a moldboard plow- 3-4 inches with a disc is sufficient. However, if you plan to do a perennial like alfalfa, which is deep rooted, you need to plow deeply or rip the soil to break through the hardpan so the roots can get established.

Tandem disc - pull type 7 ft for secondary tilling. Cost: $200. YOu can get 3pt hitch type tandem discs.

DSCF0087 (Small).JPG

Mower: 7-ft Massey Ferguson model 31 sicklebar mower. Cost: $550. Put about $150 in new parts into that mower. Rebuilt it 3 times. It still doesn't cut perfectly. You can find refurbished sicklebars but expect to pay $2-3K for them. New ones are $5K or more.

DSCF0049 (Small).JPG

I plan to get a drum mower next year and junk the sicklebar.

Rake: mine is an old John Deere 350 model (3pt hitch type) 5-bar side delivery rake. Cost: $800. These side delivery rakes are being replaced by wheel rakes and rotary rakes nowadays.

DSCF0090 (Small).JPG

I'm looking for a wheel rake (4 wheels) for next haying season.

Baler: mine is 1970s Massey Ferguson 124 2-twine small squares baler. Cost: $2000. Works OK.

DSCF0319 (Small).JPG

Hope this helps.
Good luck.

/ Cheapest way to try my hand at making hay? #7  
old skl is always cheepest wether you go full hog and go by hand or go for cheeper old machines is up to you

but tip hope you are handy with the spanners

/ Cheapest way to try my hand at making hay? #8  
I have an L3830 and I don't have enough PTO hp to run a square baler (30hp) - not sure you would either. Usually it requires a bigger tractor. - Mike

/ Cheapest way to try my hand at making hay? #9  
I have an L3830 and I don't have enough PTO hp to run a square baler (30hp) - not sure you would either. Usually it requires a bigger tractor. - Mike

I don't know Mike ... my dad baled a many bales of hay with an H Farmall ... I think they are like about 24hp.... I think his baler was an IH #27.

/ Cheapest way to try my hand at making hay? #10  

Many a Ford N has bailed hay with way less than 30hp.