Trash or diaphragm pump?

/ Trash or diaphragm pump? #1  

scesnick

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
Since the iceberg has melted off my pond I am going to rent a pump and start my pond dredging project. I posted about this project in the past http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/rural-living/95113-dredging-pond.html

I was looking at pump rentals and now I'm not sure which pump would work the best. It looks like I have a choice between a 3" diaphragm pump, a 3", 4" or 6" trash pump.

I would think the 6" trash pump would be a bit too much to handle. So, I am down to a diaphragm pump or trash pump? and what size? I would say that the silt on the bottom of my pond is 98% silty mud/ clay mixture and 2% sticks and leaves. Any suggestions?

/ Trash or diaphragm pump? #2  
I would use the trash pump.

/ Trash or diaphragm pump? #3  
To remove just water the trash pump is best. The diaphragm is good if you leave it unattended it can run dry without damage. We use the for dewatering on site and they run all day pumping full volume or just seepage.

/ Trash or diaphragm pump? #4  
I would think the trash pump would be far quicker. Make sure to have the screen on the end of the intake hose and you'll be fine. The last diaphram pump I used had these little balls inside for check valves that would constantly clog up rendering the pump useless until it was dismantled and cleaned out. A trash pump is much more forgiving in my experience.

/ Trash or diaphragm pump? #5  
Put the trash pump hose head (filter screen) in a 5 Ga. bucket and submerge, you will get less junk and mud till you get quit low.

/ Trash or diaphragm pump? #6  
It seems as though you are planning to pump some silt out of your pond. If that is the case then you will need the diaphragm pump. I have done this and I found that the trash pump would not move any silt, leaves, etcetera. Trash pump requires 90% water. The diaphragm pump on the other hand will move anything fluid that it can swallow.

I did not have one with ball check valves. I think they were rubber flaps. I dont think it matters that much though as you will have a strainer on the end. One word - the strainer with the round holes will constantly clog with leaves. I had to take it off. The strainer with square holes should let the leaves through and the pump will just pump them through. Not because they are square but because they are larger. I would buy my own strainer on ebay if necessary to have square holes.

Again, I ran without the strainer with the pump I rented and it worked but would occasionally digest a rock or stick which would stop it.

You will pump a lot of water which will tend to wash the silt back into the pond unless you contain it. I put up a silt fence to let the water through but it was nearly waterproof. Next time I'll use a wall of hay bales or plywood with window screen on the bottom to make a big holding area.

Hope this is helpful.

If I were to do it again I would attach some kind of handle to the suction end. Good luck.